1955 Studebaker President Speedster Air Cleaner on e-Bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item 0012356815&ih9&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
re: e-bay item 190012356815
I don't think this pup fits a Speedster. The oil can hangy down part will hit the rocker cover and it probably will not fit under the hood. From experience, the only way this air cleaner fits a Stude V8 with a Carter WCFB four barrel is to remove the vertical pipe on the carburator end and weld another 3 inches or so of 3 inch muffler pipe in between the horizontal part and the oil can part. I'm not sure what it fits, but I've learned the hard way, it ain't a Speedster. Bill
I'm not so sure, looks right to me:
http://www.stude.com/Speedster/D12.JPG-.html

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com
Bill Clark wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item 0012356815&ih9&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
I agree but for a different reason. It looks to me like maybe it was for a President *SEDAN* - I think the "riser" directly above the carb is too tall, IIRC the C-K bodies with that air cleaner had a real short "riser" and that height looks about like I remember it for a sedan. It possibly could be modded to work because IIRC there's not much difference elsewhere. I believe that there is a bent piece of flat steel that supports the element that goes under a head bolt.
nate
(not really able to speak authoritatively because my car had a '63 2-bbl engine when I bought it - that air cleaner will fit BTW so I would assume that a later 4bbl manifold would as well)
Good catch, it looks like it is for a sedan.
N8N wrote:

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com
It's a oil bath and looks like the sedan unit. It is supported by a bracket that attaches to (I believe) a head bolt.
JT
N8N wrote:

Thanks for the picture John. The part of the air cleaner that you show does not have the two inch piece directly over the carberator that is on the one on e-bay. When I reworked the one I had, like the one on e-bay, I was able to remove that carb piece and drop it down.
Second, the one you show is longer where it goes over the rocker cover. I was able to add a piece of 3" exhaust pipe to mine to look like yours. The same would have to be done to the one on e-bay. Bill
Y!J:6:ST>WGN=.2X2=4YN)Y-SX] % `[?K 9S113`AM=0\3;#+YN!+AAF0\_J:***!'_V0`` ` end

Site Timeline