59-61 Lark rear fender question

I have a NOS left rear fender that I bought many years ago for a '61 convertible. The parts book lists a different number for '61s than for '59s and '60s. I always thought it was because of the holes for the different '61 molding. Can anyone tell me what the difference is? Thanks, Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Paul, that is true about the moulding holes being different. The other real difference is the socket location on 59-60 vs. 61 tail lights. The 59-60 have to have the hole in the fender for the socket to pass thru. On 61's those socket holes are in the rear panel vs. the fenders.

Otherwise the shape & mounting locations of 59 - 61 fenders are the same.

Ken S. Jones

60 Lark owner
Reply to
Daytona 64

Thanks. I guess I have a '59-'60 fender then because the tail light socket hole is in it. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

This is just a guess on my pat61 is the start of the second series of the origional early lark front fenders,also 61 started the new style rocker panels.I always thought the 61's had a different rear body panel,as I beleive the trunk floor pan attaches at a different location heightwise to the rear body panel than 59+60.making the 61 a different platform than the early ones.knowing the front fenders and rockers are different makes me suspect there is more to the rear fenders that makes them different as well.but by the same token I've been known to be wrong now and again,just ask my wife !

Reply to
63t-cab

I have a 61 Lark W6 and replaced the rear fenders with 1960 rear fenders. I also used the 60 taillights because the 61 lenses were unavailable. If you use the 60 tailight bodies you can actually install an additional socket through the trunk. In conversations with Dennis and others no one can really figure out why Studebaker didn't just improve the earlier tail light body - ie making it thicker and galvanizing it like the 61 tail light body - maybe with an add-on chrome ring or stainless ring on the outside of the tail light body.

So other then some trim holes, the rear fenders are the same for the same body type.

Here is an idea if someone is interested - vacuum form the 59-60 tail light body (which you can then plate if you use ABS), install LED bulbs and glue the lens to the body for a weather proof tail light. Attach the tail light to the body with trim tape.

Paul V

Reply to
Paul Villforth