a good studebaker day

Son Nick was driving the lark a few weeks age when he reported a big loss of power. Investigation reveals- sure enough two cylinders weren't hitting. New plugs no help, and we were getting spark on all 6

Compression check- cylinders 4 and 5 had zero pressure. Praying for a blown head gasket, we pulled the head. Prayers answered - a gap between 4 and 5 cylinders.

Took the head to the local guru for resurfacing and new valve seals. Cleaned all the carbon out + ordered new gaskets

We put it all together over the course of 3or 4 days, and this afternoon, we hit the key.

Fired the first time and purred like a kitten. I set the valves at .027 and got zero valve noise.

This is the first time I have been inside a OHV6 engine. I like it - simple and strong and well engineered (for 44 years old engineering)

Very nice father + son experience.

Mark (doing the dance of Joy) Dunning

Reply to
Mark Dunning

I believe the OHV sixes have been overly maligned over the years. Yes, they did have problems with cracked heads, but I have not seen any cracks on the couple that I have worked on. Yes, compared to the V8, they are not powerhouses especially with an automatic. But with an overdrive and the right rear axle ratio choice, they are peppy for the size. My '64 has a 3 speed O/D and 4.27:1 rear axle ratio, and does ok. I can say that my '64 OHv 170 has significantly more power and revs quicker than my '54 169 flathead. So much so that I am building a big inch OHV (185 crank in a bored out OHV block) to put in my '54.

Paul

Reply to
R1Lark

Amen to the above. I had a '61 ohv six convertible that had some bad valves when I got it. I took the head to a good machine shop where they found cracks around several exhaust valves. They just ground out the bad seats and pressed in new ones- problem solved. The '62 convertible (later the

1990 Keystone raffle car) was an ohv six with overdrive and a 3.73 TT. It was quite peppy and drove nice than a V-8 with the lighter front. I had the valves ground on it and there were no cracks in the head with 80,000 miles. I will be interested to see how your bigger ohv works out. Paul Johnson
Reply to
Paul Johnson

And yet another "Amen to the above". I put many a mile on OHV 6's. Only problem I ever had was one of my buddies running one without water for a "few miles" and it did crack the head but a holed piston finally made it quit running. I stuck a piston in it and put a decent head on it and used it for another couple years. Female friend totaled that one out and finally ended it's service. The 63 2 door I have (in process of restoration in between paying jobs) is a joy to drive even though it currently doesn't have OD. I have a nice OD and twin trac rear to eventually go in it. Too many performance minded "V8 snobs" 'round here.. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

HEY!!!! I resemble that remark!

nate

(nothing wrong with a six, except for the fact that it's slower than a R-1)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

From a standing start at the top of the Empire State, I think it'd be a dead heat.

Jim Bartley on PEI-sorry, that's a Brand X test

Reply to
George Mills