Ebay opinions needed..

I just sold a part and specified USA shipping only....and I see now that the buyer is from down under... He didn't email me asking if it was OK and these are not exactly small items. I did just sent something small to Austrailia, but the guy emailed and asked me first and like I said, it was a small and light package. I fear that people are doing this kind of thing knowing that they can drop a negative and the seller is hampered as to what he can do. The 'ol lady says to email and tell him that if he pays an extra, "stiff" handling charge I should do it. I am leaning towads cancelling him completely... Opinions? Studebaker George (PS the shipping on these two packages will probably be as much or more as the item!)

Reply to
Studebaker George

Often buyers "down under" have stateside agents who hold their purchases until they have a container load. I just sold an item to a fellow in NZ which was too bulky to mail, but he had me send it to Lionel Stone who wil have it placed in a container for shipment. A couple of weeks ago, I placed several large items in a Lark ragtop and took it to the shipper at the Port of Houston for shipment to Pekka in Finland.

I have always found Stude folks down under easy to deal with, & if you have bulky item he may have friend w/ a container heading his direction in the forseeable future.

Barry'd in Studes

Reply to
Barry

He gave a shipping address "down under"... It bothers me that he either didn't read my description or just plain didn't give a crap what I said. Nice guys or not, they can read English better than most HERE these days... All the new ebay shit and now things like this just make me want to call the crusher and give up on parts altogether. These days I can get two fifty or more for the whole car, so why bother with a couple twenty dollar items...unless they are REAL easy to pull off and are really in demand. Crush two a week, do a few small jobs, and I'll have more time for my own stuff and be happier... hmmmm...... Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Don't smoosh 'em all George. Hopefully I'll make it to your place sometime, and I wanna play with the cuttin' torch. :-)

Matthew

Reply to
mbstude

Reply to
blacklarkviii

LOL, yeah, I wonder why I'm doing it in the first place... With the price of scrap the way it is, might as well just send 'em on to China... Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Don't worry Jeffy, they are safe...that thing is worth more as a shed with wheels than scrap.. BTW, got your message and called you back and left a message...answering machine tag.. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

I'll second that... I have sold and purchased in Australia, New Zealand and even Brazil without incident.

JT

Barry wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Barry! Once again thank you for taking care of my Lark & parts and taking them to the Houston port! I hope that the boat does not sink due to the heavy load the little Lark has inside... ;-)

Regarding buyers from other countries --- it allways good to communicate in advance and check the feedback. I have shipped quite a few Studebaker parts to other countries from here -- a couple of times even below the shipping cost. I think it would be great if Stude folks would do the little extra to help each other to keep our cars on the road. I do understand that we all have priorities regarding time and money and sometimes it may get too troublesome and time consuming.

Pekka

-- Message posted using

information at

PekkaP

I sent 2 code cut keys to Finland, and they got there FASTER than me mailing them 240 miles away to St Louis.. UNREAL on that..

--Shiva--

** Posted from
**
Reply to
me

Thanks, Pekka. To most of us, seeing Studes preserved & maintained is a big part of the joy of our hobby, and that frequently includes cars we will never see belonging to people we may never meet in person. It is not solely a money game or most of us would be doing something different in the first place. It is what motivates a busy seller to spend an hour searching for or removing a $5. part sometimes. Part of dealing with Stude stuff is dealing with people, and that does require some patience with the occasional butt hole and having misunderstandings when someone fails to read or listen what you are trying to say, or forgets something, or wants to bargain for a cheaper price, etc.etc. I got an email last night from a newbie ebay guy who asked me 4 questions about a current auction of mine, all of which were answered on the auction if he had bothered to read it before emailing me. Sometimes it takes some effort to be nice, especially since people who ask anal questions or want more pics seldom actually ever buy anything, unless they can snag it for the opening bid price or less. I have dealt with folks who are as young as 13 and up to their 90's, and people who have a limited use of English, not to mention all sorts of personalities, and I have discovered that some who tend to rub you the wrong way on first impression tend to be some great guys once you get to know them. (hmm- who does that make me think of???lol) Barry'd in Studes

"PekkaP" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Reply to
Barry

Barry, I didn't know you had such an eloquent side... Remember also that we all have bad days...sometimes weeks...or longer... Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

I "lost" a 57 Golden Hawk in the "Big D" many years ago... Probably will never have another one. I didn't get it taken, just lost all my storage and $$ and ended up selling it rather than seeing it go to hell outside. I would love to find out what happened to that car, it went to a recently retired Air Force pilot who was probably the best buyer I could hope for. Name long lost to history but he was from AL or SE GA IIRC. I'm sure the car went on to be a show winner as he showed me pics of his garage and toys. It was white and gold. That was in the late seventies or early eighties...kind of flushed the dates.... Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

I've sent stuff ALL over the world and NEVER had a problem. I kinda discourage it by charging $20-$30 (even for the small/light stuff) for shipping but if they wanna pay it, I'll ship it. I DO require a phone # and the buyers miss THAT sometimes. But in my opinion, their money is just as good as anyone else's. It's all the same on PayPal.

John

Reply to
johnnywiffer

UPDATE...after jumping through all ebay's hoops about getting a credit for my listing since it was a nixed sale I get an email through ebay from the buyer who magically gives me an address here in the states... NO prior communication from the buyer since his initial request for an invoice and now he still doesn't directly communicate. Evidently he is refusing the offer of no harm no foul due to his not reading the description. Ticks me off a lot that the guy didn't bother to email me since I had sent him an email telling him I would not ship overseas and he had not read the descripiton. Very poor communication or downright arrogance... If he had just emailed me and told me to ship it to whomever here in the US, there would never have been a problem. I recon I will now type up a LONG AND BOLD disclaimer to insert at the very BEGINNING of the description on any future ebay auctions, even though most boneheads won't read it... So I risk a negative if I don't send it to him and maybe get a negative anyway if I do....all for a measley hundred bucks...sheesh... Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George