Got the Caddy started

N8 and I got the 425 Caddy started on the engine test stand today. It fires right up, idles fine and sounds real strong. Still not positive as to which Studebaker gets it, but here's my cost of under a grand so far far. (Much of it just bought because it was cheap on ebay)

Caddy engine/400 trans $510 Chrome valve covers $35 new fuel pump $30 caddy Book $20.00 rebuilt Starter $60.00 used, earlier Hei dist. $36.00 Rebuilt carb $60.00 chrome alternator $89.00 rebuilt Water pump $30.00 Hurst/adapter mounts $35 oil/filter $9.00 EGR block off plate $16.00 HEI plug wires $27.00

JP/Maryland Studebaker On the Net

My Ebay items:
GT Hawk

63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) 63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2 63 Avanti R1 63 Daytona convert 63 Lark 2 door 62 Lark 2 door 60 Hawk 59 3E truck 52 Starlight 52 Starliner 51 Commander
Reply to
John Poulos

I usually make my own mounts, what do the Hurst ones look like and where did you get them?

Reply to
oldcarfart

I found a set on ebay, they are just a steel wedge made from four pieces of steel weld together.

oldcarfart wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

When did Cad make a 425? I remember the Olds & Buick 425's...

Reply to
Barry

I think it came out in the 70's, part of the Cadillac 368 425 472 500 series.

Barry wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

In 1977 Cadillac introduced a new 425 in³ (7.0 L) V8, based on the architecture of the 472, but with a smaller, 4.08 in (103.6 mm) bore and 4.06 in (103.2 mm) stroke. The new engine was also 100 lb (45 kg) lighter.

The 425 was offered in L33 form, with a four-barrel carburetor, producing

180 hp (134 kW) @ 4000 rpm and 320 ft·lbf (434 N·m) of torque at 2000 rpm, and L35 with electronic fuel injection for 195 hp (145 kW); torque was the same, but peaked at 2400 rpm.

The 425 was used through 1979 on all Cadillacs except the Seville.

Source:Wikipedia

Bob40

Reply to
Bob

I know Wikipedia says it, but I don't believe it. (comparing the 425, 472 and the 500 engines, I think they all weigh the same, they all look alike, exceptions being different angled mounts for the oil filter and the drive belt pulleys) (the '76 500 had the one belt that ran the AC, Alt, A.I.P. pump and WP all off the harmonic balancer that had the belt groove in it ala Jet Thrust Lark and Hawk). Caddy called them all the '500 Series' engine.

Reply to
Jerry Forrester