Gullwing at Twilight

PBS just broadcast Gullwing At Twilight about a group of guys racing a Mercedes 300SL at Bonneville. The hook is they got a 87 year old man to drive it. He's a former WWII Pilot credited with shooting down an Me-262 and he was a driver for the Mercedes team driving the gullwing in the original La Carrera and at Le Mans. He's also the guy who invented the barrels of sand they put at exit ramps to slow your car down if you try to hit the abuttment.

Lots of good Bonneville footage including a closeup of the Salt2Salt car (about 20 minutes into the film). It looks like when we were in impound rather than at our trailer. Wow. Fame and fortune are ours. Bring on the liquor and the women!

Reply to
BobWaitz

Of course you are talking about the immortal John Fitch, a racing legend. Haven't seen the program yet, but I've seen the car run on the salt.

Reply to
zoombot

Reply to
itraseecab