OT- fast Mazda (amazing)

I think this was shot in Puerto Rico, a small Toyota with a souped up Mazda rotary. Apparently it is street legal.

Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

It's very fast, but I think that speed is Kilometers, which would make it

119 MPH

Paul Johnson

Reply to
ALEX M.

According to my Puerto Rican ex-coworker, there's a lot of little RWD Toyotas getting hopped up over there, and rotaries are big also. He made it sound like a street racer's paradise, but he may have had a warped perspective...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

They run NHRA rules in Puerto Rico (this is the only dragstrip), and wheelie bars and parachutes are not required below 140MPH.

From the way it was carrying the front wheel and the way the chute bloomed after it scooted down the track - I'd say it's MPH, not KPH's.

That booger's ugly, but fast!

Reply to
zoombot

I looked at this acceleration calculator. If he weighs 2000 pounds he would need over 1000 horsepower to reach 191MPH, but less than 300 to reach 119. I would say it is Kilometers.

ALEX M.

Alex, have you ever looked at a drag race, instead of a calculator?

If you had, you'd know that at a 1/4 mile race, anyone running around

7 second elapsed times is going about 200MPH.

The kid's for real, and I'd stake my '52 Commander on it.

Reply to
zoombot

It appears that your Commander is safe. Here is some additional info posted to the NG where I found the video link- " The car is driven by Jose "Siguel Racing" Torres he used to run one of the first 3 rotor powered cars and was the 1st rotary powered car in 6's. He rarely races in the USA NHRA or Nopi because he doesn't like the rules limiting rotary powered cars. The motor to that car was built in Australia. The chassis was built in Puerto Rico, and tuned by Siguel. It is believed to make 950WHP and is a full metal car, no fiber glass or carbon fiber. It is 3/4 chassis. He also own a 3 rotor 20b 3 turbo powered RX-8 full chassis that runs 6.85 on low boost with an Australian built crate motor. At the moment he is just about breaking world records with a rotary powered cars."

And, a Google search for Siguel Racing" brought this:

Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson