OT: IED Supression (video link)

Your tax dollars at work.

One of the ways we've come up with to limit the number of IED (roadside bombs) attacks is to monitor our most heavily traveled areas using Predators. They are very quiet and fly high enough so that they can't be heard or seen. And because they don't have a pilot, they can fly over 24 hours at a time.

In this video, a Predator comes upon 3 insurgents planting an IED. It then contacts a nearby F-16 who then drops a 500 lb bomb on them.

BTW, the person controlling the Predator is 8000 miles away at Nellis AFB in Nevada.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Isn't it kind of wasteful to use a 500 pound bomb to take out 3 measly insurgents? I'd sort of think a bushel basket full of hand grenades would do a better job cheaper.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Ever tried throwing hand grenades out of an F-16?

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Perhaps, but nothing gets your attention like a 500lb bomb. Unless its B52's dropping a full load of them in the distance.

Reply to
transtar60xxx

That comment irks me... (But I know Gord stuck a in there....) Now we are using cost analysis on terrorists in the act of trying to kill and maim American soldiers and/or the civilian of choice? How frikkin wasteful is it to bury a soldier anyways? Personally, I would spend a lot more for the bomb. Just one bomb. A real big bomb. A really, really big bomb. August 22 sounds about right. Light up the sky, just like the guy in Iran wants...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

I think what you are saying is "Nuke 'em all. Make that place uninhabital for the next 1000 years". Sometimes I agree with you.

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

Look what they've done in the last 1000 years, does it really matter about the next 1000? They're picking each other off a dozen at a time, I agree let's do them both a favor and take them all out in one shot. Sometimes it's best to clean the slate and start over.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

No here...

I agree with you Jeff as well...

These type nut killers only understand that their thinking and choises in this life are wrong , one second after they are killed ...Yes their is nothing there for them but a hole in the ground and they are yesterdays news...

Let their great leaders put bombs on their chests , come out of hiding and face us strait up if they are so sure that their god is the right one...No...We will never see them do that...

Yes light up the sky over Iran and show them what our God has for them...They want a nuclear bomb so much they should be given one so they can see the what hell is really like,only with them in it...If we wait much longer it will be us the get to see hell as they will have the bomb soon...They will use it as well...

There is no honor in death and killing others...but there is honor in living,growing and doing the world some real good...

So a 500 lb bomb was just the right message to give the three0 that night...They want us to be looking over our shoulder and sweating...now they can do the same...

Lansing Canadian married to a cute American

Please remove the X to e-mail me...I get spam here daily

Reply to
ConcreteGuy