Question: Transtar steering

My CD manual is not working and I want to find out it a 1950 C-Cab has the same ross steering column as a 1956 transtar column. My brother has a 50 column and after my last trip I need to replace my column. (left hand turns only). Any help is appreciated!

Reply to
Rick Courtier

Depends on the serial number of the 50 model. If they both use the Ta-12 gear yes, other wise, no.

Bo

"Rick Courtier" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com... My CD manual is not working and I want to find out it a 1950 C-Cab has the same ross steering column as a 1956 transtar column. My brother has a 50 column and after my last trip I need to replace my column. (left hand turns only). Any help is appreciated!

Reply to
64daytonaht

You are talking about the steering post jacket, right?

Bo

"Rick Courtier" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com... My CD manual is not working and I want to find out it a 1950 C-Cab has the same ross steering column as a 1956 transtar column. My brother has a 50 column and after my last trip I need to replace my column. (left hand turns only). Any help is appreciated!

Reply to
64daytonaht

Thanks,

I just got a parts manual from Gerald Goodrich this morning. Well be tearing into this weekend sometime. . . I need to finish this so I can start on Lloyd's project. Most likely my steering box is out. . . Hardest part is going to be getting the horn button off. . . I tried doing this a few times with no success in the past. May be looking for a new button from Chuck if it takes too much effort.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtier

Took a hour to remove the horn button. . . used a rubber mallet and a screw driver. . . and a jar opener. . . . don't ask! No Studebaker parts was damage in this process. Just using the jar opener wasn't working but adding the mallet and screw driver made things go faster.

After getting the button off I then got smart and check the part number to make sure I had the right parts coming. . . That when I found the set adjustment screw loose. Something that I never even looked at before until today. It was so loose that I had to turn it about 5 to 6 complete turns to make it finger tight. Just doing this alone and I could turn the wheel to the right. Feeling good about this I placed a few calls to confirm what I was thinking. Quickly set the steering adjustment, and left work to mow the grass. . . I will be testing out the results on Monday. Must be all the driving to make a loose nut behind the wheel

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtier