R3/R4 stuff

Never seen these pulleys:

John Poulos

Well, it does say they are STU-V products and not original stuff.....

Reply to
Lee

Reply to
John Poulos

I saw the part number but assumed that it is the 'high output' replacement for the 156XXX part number.....

Reply to
Lee

Reply to
John Poulos

Could this be stuff from the Asa Hall collection? Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Check the sellers hometown. Could this be Asa Hall's widow?

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

Yep, it is. I bought a Stude part almost a year ago from her. Therefore, I can see these H.O. pulleys being 'genuine' Studebaker. I don't think Asa would ever fill his garage with anything but.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig Parslow

So is a 'STU-V' catalog Studebaker's version of Chrysler's 'Direct Conncection','SRT' or Ford's 'SVO' high performance and racing components catalog?

Craig

Reply to
studebaker8

If you read the ads closely you will note that these are STU-V products. Now the STU-V stuff was a real mixed bag, some of it came from Paxton, some from SASCO(old), and some they made up themselves. Very likely the pulleys came out of Paxton originally (SASCO(old) stocked virtually no R3/R4 items). But they were likely made by Paxton or Stu-V to the original South bend prints. Paxton items I ordered generally came loose or in plastic bags, SASCO almost always used a Studebaker box of some sort.

A quick check of my STU-V catalog shows the complete high output pulley set, plus fan and supercharger belts, priced at $65. FWIW they show rear brake drums at $6.50, aluminum timing gears at $10, R3/R4 head gaskets @ $12/pr, and R3/R4 tachs for $25, among other interesting items............

-- wf.

Craig Parslow wrote:

Reply to
randee

Oops, got an extra 'S' in there, did not notice that.

No, STU-V was a completely independent outfit, say like Avanti Northwest, or Bottjer Performance. I do not recall the fellow's name now, but he was out of National City, Cal. (just south of San Diego). The STU-V name itself is rather old, originally it was an outfit dealing in hop-up parts for '50's Stude's. The name reappeared with the Avanti stuff in around 1971. My catalog is #2 and dates from 1972.

Studebaker's version of the Ford SVO catalog would be the Paxton Products catalogue. Comparing the STU-V with the Paxton, some parts look like exact copies. My, vague, recollection is that STU-V appeared about the time Paxton was getting out of the Stude stuff. I think he bought a lot of the surplus from Paxton.

-- wf.

snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca wrote:

Reply to
randee

Chris Banke

George R

Reply to
George Rohrbach

Yes, that's it. I remembered the 'Chris' part, but just could not remember his last name. I probably last talked to him in the mid '70's, some 30 years ago now I guess. Dunno whatever happened to him or his stock of parts.

-- wf.

George Rohrbach wrote:

Reply to
randee