Stranded again.

Took my Stude for a short run today. Turned out a long time as I waited for a tow. Fuel pump again. When I got home and could get under it I hit it with a pipe and it started working again (:-) This is the third time and third type of electric pump that has quit on me. One time I was able to get it running again without a tow. For sure, I am going to get a mechanical pump to at least have that backup. I then need ideas for an Electric that will be reliable and also will allow the mechanical pump to suck through it if it quits. The other thing I'll do for sure is rig some kind of mount right next to the gas tank outlet so I am not trying to suck fuel uphill. I have the inline pump mounted low on the frame just ahead of the front leaf spring hanger Our hot weather seems to get to them and they have to suck the fuel up over the high area where the rear end travels. Near the tank outlet is also near the exhaust pipe so I will still have a problem with heat. Who has had good luck with which fuel pump? Maybe it's not the pump but the heat and lift. I've had a Carter rotary and Master inline from Autozone and some other brand of inline.

Thanks

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Barry

I've been using the round ones from Autozone without problem for years and my installation is the same as yours, just forward of the spring mount on the frame.

JT

Alex Magdaleno wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Alex,

I've had good luck with those little Facet electronic fuel pumps that look like a steel cube with a pair of pipe nipples and a power transistor mounted on one side. Capacity might be a little marginal for your engine, but they do permit a mechanical pump to suck through.

If you have a Pick n Pull near you with some older iron, look for a Mazda RX3 station wagon. An electronic pump of this type lives behind the left rear interior cargo area trim panel, and is usually in pristine condition.

Also double-check for pinhole leaks in the line going up over the axle. maybe the pump is sucking air.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Reply to
Barry

Maybe I'm either old fashioned or just plain stupid, but why not just stick with a mechanical pump? I have had electric fuel pumps in a few of my cars and all of them were a disaster. At one point, I returned one to Kanter Auto Products where I bought it and was told that they had all been recalled because they didn't work! You can't convince me that an electric pump is better than mechanical....

-George-

56 SkyHawk 63 GT Hawk 63 Champ (all equipped with mechanical pumps) :-)
Reply to
reichsrundfunk

Why do we hear about aftermarket pumps failing and rarely do I hear of an OEM electric pump failing?

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

My (wife's) 62 Daytona convertible came to us with an electric fuel pump mounted down on the frame behind the right front passenger tire. It was not connected to the battery. I touched it to hot and it ran fine. The mechanical pump works fine too, so I don't bother with the electric - nice to have it just in case, though.

Dan Kay

61 Lark VIII 61 Lark Daytona convertible
Reply to
Dan Kay

My experience is exactly the opposite. Electric fuel pumps are almost a must with today's inferior fuels. I will never go back to mechanical devices...

JT

reichsrundfunk wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

With A/C and in Southern California, my car runs hot all the time. Things that work in other conditions are more stressed here. I ordered another Carter rotary and will mount it right next to front of the tank. It just clears the Axle. This will give it less strain and it should last longer.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Because I live in a hot area and have A/C I think I need an electric to prevent vapor lock.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Nowdays most OEMs are in the tank and thus are cooled by the gasoline. Those that are outside the tank are engineered for whatever conditions the car would normally encounter. Us aftermarket people just have to stumble along trying to get the right combination.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Reply to
Pat Drnec

So why not pop the tank out and have your radiator shop weld in a bung for an OE style in-tank fuel pump? Then buy an aftermarket lifetime warranty fuel pump and never worry again ... Jeff

"Alex Magdaleno" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Looks like a great positve displacement pump. No problems with elevation. But it also looks tall. Where did you put it?

Alex Magdaleno

Pat Drnec

cargo area trim

the pump is

Almost a half-century ago two KFOC guys found a system. A gallon open-top can on the roof held by the passenger, with hose going from hose fitting at bottom of the can to carb inlet. Stop every ten miles to fill can and swap positions

This was winter in the cold part of the US.

Now stop your damn wimpering!

Karl Haas

Reply to
midlant