t cab pickups steering

Ihave a 62 t cab. It is fairly hard to steer going slow below 10 mph steers fairly easly going backwards almost palm it with one hand non studebaker people tell me to put king pins in it. I don't completly disagree but don't think it will fix it. Jack up the center of axel push on the tires and it steers easily. Is it the nature of these trucks with a studebaker v8 to be tough to steer. the king ping have no slop but rust who knows. any coments or been there done that kind of feedback please price of kingpins is reasonable but if it's not going to make it steer easier it is a lot of labor . PLEASE HELP.

Reply to
henrydowns1

These trucks don't steer great to start with but with good king pins and properly greased thrust bearings it should be acceptable. If it was me I would replace the king pins and thrust bearings.

Reply to
Jerry Kaiser

Increasing negative caster will ease steering. (There are wedge shims that go between the axle and spring). However, when doing so, be sure to recheck toe-in. Failure to do so will result in rapid wear of the tires usually on the outside.

Of course, tire pressure, tire type (light truck tires are best) and good lubrication of front end components are a must. One big thing often overlooked, too tight an adjustment of the steering box itself.

JT

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire