The Dusenberg collection of Homer Fitterling.

I sawthif gathering of Dusenbergs only once - at the first SDC IM in SB.
It seems that there werr about 25 of them jammed into that barn,
gyarded by the lone Packard sbow chassis out in the weeds.
Anybpdy knpw where they ended up?
Karl Haas
Add pictures here
βœ–
"There was a fellow down in the States by the name of Homer Fitterling who had amassed a collection of about 300 cars, and 22 of them were Duesenbergs. When he died another fellow by the name of Ed Weaver bought the entire collection [for $13 million US].
"Then he died of a heart attack, and all the cars went to auction at no reserve. That auction single-handedly destroyed the price of Duesenbergs. There's not many Duesenbergs today that are worth a million dollars -- they have to be pretty special. That's not to say they still aren't quite pricey. You can pick up a sedan in the $200,000 to $300,000 range."
from http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/story.html?id –d85614-e684-4f92-8b69-a6944b661183&p=3
Karl Haas wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
I 'dunno about his prices...general rule for many years is that ANY model of the 'big D' is worth a million.. I do, however, think there will be a large drop in the prices of such in the next five or so years. Parts prices will drop like a stone also as there will be fewer and fewer cars restored. The 'easy' restorations or most desireable cars are already done and many already restored cars will be on the market as the older collectors die off and the younger generations who inherit them just sell them off for whatever....as it seems the younger generations don't care that much for old cars. All of us know that is a lot cheaper to buy one already 'done' (yeah, a relative term..) than do it from the ground up. Will be interesting to follow the market for the next few years... Studebaker George
Add pictures here
βœ–
Yea George. None of us yungin's care about old cars. <G>
MB
Add pictures here
βœ–
Yeah, Matthew...you will be lucky as just think of all the really cool cars that will be available cheep. Hope there is gas to run 'em...and hope you stop by and visit what few codgers will be left... Maybe on good days we will remember who you are..<G>... Studebaker George
Add pictures here
βœ–

I coukdn't remember how to spell Homers last name and didn't want to create an error that got passed down the line. I was quite upset that two cars were actually touching ta the front fenders. The custom (Tom Mix?) car was 'interesting', but so is a bronzed turd.
HF also has a barrel of 1938 red circle grille badges = NOS. Sheldom Henderson wanted to buy one. No deal!
I did not admire HF, as you might guess.
Karl
Add pictures here
βœ–
replying to Karl Haas, Larry ludeman wrote: Homer sold me his trucking co in 1970. Lake Motor Freight Line. I went to his farm in South Bend In. He had four buildings loaded with beautiful cars. He let me look at all of his cars. He told me his Frist Dusenberg he pick up in a junk yard in California. Tom Mix old Dusenberg. Homer had his drivers look for old cars anywhere In the USA. If they found one he liked they would receive a fee. He died Dec 1992 in Florida. Homer was a honest man. A hand shake was good as gold.
Add pictures here
βœ–
replying to Larry ludeman, Ed. Modlin, Jr. wrote: Thank you for setting the record straight about Homer, Larry! My father did business with Homer when he owned about five truck lines that he operated out of South Bend between 1956-63.. One of his cars was a 1901 Glide... a beautiful horseless carriage that he drove in a parade at the St. Joseph County 4-H Fair around 1960. He insisted that my mom and I ride with him. He was a terrific guy and an honest businessman.
Add pictures here
βœ–
replying to Ed. Modlin, Jr., Larry Ludeman wrote: Ed this is Larry Ludeman. I saw your post. Homer came to Chicago in 1970 he help me buy Lake Motor Freight line. Had to be ok by ICC. He gave me a lot of tips on the trucking business. We did everything on a handshake I was not use that. I payed him every month for 5 years. He was a great man. They don’t make men like him anymore. It’s nice to know that your father did business with Homer. He took me on a tour to see all his cars. Four buildings full of cars. He also had $200,000.00 RV He would go to Florida every year. Homer was one of a kind. I will never forget him. Take care Larry
Add pictures here
βœ–
replying to Colin Jack, Larry ludeman wrote: Homer sold me his trucking co in 1970. Lake Motor Freight line. I went to his South Bend,In farm. He had four building loaded with his cars. He let me look at all his cars. They were beautiful. He pick up his first Duesnburg in 1940 at a junk yard in California. It was Tom Mix old Duesnburg. He died in Dec 1992 in Florida. Larry Ludeman Chicago,Il N
Add pictures here
βœ–