unexplainable quote

On American Hot Rod when a flathead Ford rat rod dies on the road and said as they load it on a trailer:

" These old flat head motors are really tricky "

Reply to
John Poulos

Huhwha? there's a bare minimum of moving parts in there and none of them are that fancy...

BTW I assume all of you guys that were at York saw the old Ford pickup truck parked outside? was that one of you guys?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The early "crab" style distributors can be a real pain in the ass but the flathead is about as basic as basic can be.

Reply to
oldcarfart

That whole gang gives the hot rod world a bad name.... That show is even more unwatchable the second time around. Jeff

"John Poulos" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Nate, Send me an e-mail with your real e-mail address. I have a file for you to play with. Jeff

"Nate Nagel"wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Flat-head complicated? Maybe. I was all of fourteen or fifteen when I did my first internal work on one. (Change valve, piston and head.) I had my part-time pump-jocky uncle to guide me, except during the daytime when he was at work.

Oh, a fellow named Yates got 435HP (supercharger) from one in the

1950s. I expect that one was a bit complicated.

Kar4l

Reply to
midlant

Yeah those old Ford flatheads are tough...

Does anyone know the recipe to make ice? I can't find mine....

Steve Grant a.k.a. the Madd Doolder

Reply to
madd_doodler

I thought that was pretty strange too. However these guys are used to working with second rate motors like the SBC and probably most everything they are used too has electronic ignition. They showed a close up of the inside of the distributor and it was a dual point setup. That probably IS pretty tricky to someone used to electronic ignition!

Jeff DeWitt

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

And notorious for overheating despite the presence of two waterpumpts..

JT

Reply to
Grumpy au Contraire

And for vapor locking and hard starting. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Hmmm; the blue oval flatheads are basic, and pretty forgiving; they'll run with spark plug wires crossed (like mine was when I got it), with no return springs in the dizzy (like mine was....), but I never have had any overheating or vapor lock problems in my 1950 truck, and it still has the fan belts on it that Henry's boys installed in the factory (and brake shoes, and muffler, etc, etc). And it starts right up, with a 6V battery that is 15 years old, even on -20F days. Might be something to do with the fact that it still has less than five thousand original miles on it. But, there sure is nothing tricky about working on it.

Reply to
stude-ious