VERY good Studebaker weekend

Our Potomac Chapter Spring Tour was (also) this past weekend. We went to near Wilmington, Delaware and toured the DuPont Winterthur mansion and grounds. On Saturday we spent the entire day at Longwood Gardens in nearby Pennsylvania (also a DuPont site). We had fantastic weather and both locations were incredible. Unfortunately, participation was poor and we had only three Studebakers in the tour (Bob Johnstone's gorgeous '55 President sedan, Larry and Pat Merhaut's stunning '62 Regal convertible and Steve Walters beautiful '56 Power Hawk (my wife and I "brand Xed because my Wagonaire is down for complete re-build). The three cars drew a LOT of attention. My Brand Xing should now come a halt. I left Friday morning before the auction on which I had placed a snipe bid ended. I didn't have computer access and I tried to call the seller off and on all weekend and could never get an answer so I had to wait until today to see what happened. I turned on the computer as soon as I got home and fired up e-mail. There it was- the eBay "you have won" message and a couple emails from the seller. So, barring any unforeseen disasters, I will soon have a gorgeous '64 Daytona convertible to go along side my '64 Daytona Wagonaire and '63 Commander Starliner. Here is a link to the convertible:

the problem is raising the money quickly. I can take it out of a mutual fund, but I kind of hate to. So, I may be having a fire sale on my NOS R-3 engine. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Now the problem is raising the money quickly. I can take it out of a mutual > fund, but I kind of hate to. So, I may be having a fire sale on my NOS R-3 > engine.> Paul Johnson

congrats, Paul. That's a nice looking car and I hope I run into you driving it someday. (well, not literally...)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
John Poulos

I know a few people that would love to have a R-3 including myself and maybe a yellow POS. Pricing is everything now for me but you never know.

Now the problem is raising the money quickly. I can take it out of a mutual> fund, but I kind of hate to. So, I may be having a fire sale on my NOS R-3> engine.

Reply to
Rick Courtier

Reply to
mbstude

Reply to
John Poulos

Uh... A '63 Commander Starliner is a fat, fumble-fingered attempt to type '53 combined with bad, tired eyes . Thanks for noticing- it sure got by me. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

To tell you the truth I was hoping to get $25k for it. After all, it's kind of my IRA . Since I have to pick it up personally from the museum, I would deliver it to the buyer pretty much anywhere in Continental US (Museum has been instructed to release it only to me with identification by Phil Brown). Jon Myer told me probably 10 years ago that he turned down $15k for one he has and it needed a complete rebuild. Mine includes the blower, carb and bonnet, water manifold, pulleys, original headers, even the long hose that goes through the front panel and the original Paxton crate (hopefully they still have it there). Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Reply to
John Poulos

Out of my price range, as well. Even if it weren't, it would be a crime to actually install it in a car like 'Sheba, and USE it!

Reply to
Dave's Place

Reply to
Pat Drnec