Way Off Topic - Need Help

For 25 yrs. WCBS-FM every Thanksgiving would air the "Top 500" oldies. For 6 years, I would record them using cassette tapes. Last night, PBS broadcasted an Oldies Show, which made me remember my old recordings. I found them last night, and they are amazing, well for New Yorkers, as they had DJ's that we all grew up with. How do I go about, transfering the cassettes to a CD/DVD?

My laptop has a Stereo in plug, but it is a pin type, anything I have that has output jacks use RCA pin plugs.

Thanks

BTW..... WCBS-FM, has ceased playing oldies, market research said that there aren't enough people alive to warrant a station dedicated to oldies. What is so sad, is the loss of the great DJ's.

Reply to
Bill Glass

Bill, are you a fan of DooWop?

Reply to
Dwain G.

I'd suggest looking for those places that do video transfer, they's surely be able to do audio too.

Avantilover

Reply to
John Clements

Ask us a hard one Bill!

You just need an adapter cable and probably some sofware.

99392032460 I've copied a bunch of tapes and some LP's onto my laptop using Audcity, works great and the price is right (free!).

Jeff DeWitt

Bill Glass wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Bill,

I have been doing that with 8-Track tapes for some time now. I used whatever media thingy came with Windows. I think at Radio Shack I found a miniture stereo plug to split RCA adapter and put it into my "Line IN" jack on my desktop machine. I then record the song(s) as .wav files and burn them onto CD. They play great in the CD player in the truck, house or on either computer.

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

I'll second the recommend for Audacity. I also purchased (for $29, IIRC) a program called ADR, which permits me to record streaming audio from Internet sources to my hard drive. I have recorded literally hours of radio programs of my kind of music this way. I use Audacity to clean up these files, editing out commercials, etc., and also the occasional blank spot where the stream was buffered. You can do this editing at something better than real time, so it's not too tedious. I save the finished files as mp3s, which I can then transfer to a Sony Network Walkman (similar to IPOD). I can play that in the car via an FM adaptor.

Gets me hours and hours of road music. About the only time I'll buy a current edition CD is if the band is selling it right off the stage,

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

I am afraid to answer that, as I feel a joke coming

Yes, we are, big time. Many years ago we had a cassette of Murry the K, Joe O'Brian, Dan Ingram and a few others, and we would play it thru the dash speaker in the Hawk. A friend of mine who is an audio engineer at ABC NY, made it. He even put in the sounds of tuning a radio station in. People would huddle around the car and think they were actually listening to real radio broadcasts.

Reply to
Bill Glass

Thanks much. Tomorrow I take a ride to radio Shack. Last night I played one of the cassettes. One commercial from 1992 was for TWA, (ah memories), but the best part was the slogan TWA from JFK the copy says......... JFK is less crowded than LaGuardia, no lines waiting to board, easy close by parking, and go from your car directly to the gate. TWA from JFK. The lead story in the news on the night I recorded it, was unrest in the Middle East.

Nothing changes

Reply to
Bill Glass

________________________ Not at all. It's my favorite too. Here's a site I visit:

Dwain G.

If your computer has a USB port this is what you need:

John Kunkel

What can that thing do that I can't do with a 5 buck adapter cable and some free software. Maybe I'm dense but I don't get it.

Jeff DeWitt

John Kunkel wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt