'03 Baja Instrument Panel Stays On

I was installing a new radio in my 2003 5sp Baja. Got the kit from Crutchfields. Went to test the new radio and it did not come on. Checked all the wiring, it was correct but still no power at radio. Plugged the old radio back in and it too was "dead". Checked all fuses, all good. One strange thing is when I take the key out of the ignition the instruments for odometer and clock stay lit. I am pretty sure they didn't used to stay lit after I turned the ignition to lock. Everything except the radio seems to work. I started the engine and all looks good. I disconnected the batttery for a minute hoping for some kind of reset but still the same thng. I'm stumped! Has anyone had this problem? Any idea what the fix is?

Reply to
Googler

Sounds like you got a feedback circuit, like connecting an always powered circuit to the dash lighting circuit. Did you get the plug and pigtail adapter from Crutchfield? And is it now totally removed from the dash when you put the old radio back in?

Double check for shorts caused by errant solder joints or pinching wires.

Reply to
DG

Are you sure you checked ALL the fuses, in both fuse boxes? It certainly sounds like you blew one. As for the lights, I'm betting you bumped the parking light switch on top of the steering column while you were working on it, and that's why the lights won't go off.

Reply to
mulder

The lights are not the problem, I know about that little Subaru eccentiricity. The problem is the display for gas, odometer, outside, temperature and clock - they stay on even with the key out. I did not check each and every fuse, just the ones in the circuit - I supposed I could go back and check them all. The thing is, even with the radio unplugged, the symptoms remain. I have used Crutchfield's connectors before, they make installs easy. I can not figure out what I could have done wrong. If anyone can give me concrete step-by-step troubleshooting I'd really appreciate it.

Reply to
Googler

Update: I am a bonehead! DOH! I forgot I had a subwoofer connector in between the radio and the car's harness. I had connected the radios only to this subwoofer connector and not the connector that supplies power. Mystery solved!

Well... I still have this new feature where the odometer, etc stay on even with the key off. Hopefully, it's not enough to drain the battery overnight.

(I did check EVERY fuse and they are all good - although I am at a loss to explain how a blown fuse could ever allow something to work ALL the time as opposed to NONE of the time.)

Reply to
Googler