03 OBS sputters on first takeoff and check engine light flashes 11 times

Hello.

I have a 2003 OBS with 110,000kms(65,000 miles) and I have been experiencing some sputtering.

Sequence of events: Car starts fine, idles fine. When I pull out of driveway and start accelerating, car sputters. Seems like the harder I accelerate the more it sputters. Sometimes, the check engine light flashes 11 times. Sputtering gradually goes away over the next minute or two then everything runs fine after that.

This seems to happen when the engine is cold and the weather is wet. Problem shows up about once or twice a week.

This started happening some time ago after I pulled out one of my spark plug boots just to have a look. I had a hard time re-inserting it because of the washer fluid tank. I was due for a spark plug change anyway so a couple of days later I replaced all plugs. This problem kept showing up every few days.

Any ideas? Does the 11 flashes of the check engine light mean anything?

Thanks, Chicobiker

Reply to
Chico

A flashing CEL means there is a real-time misfire being detected. This is a lot more urgent than a steady light which only indicates that a code has been stored. Since this began after you messed with the wire, that wire is probably damaged. The fix is most likely a new set of wires.

Reply to
mulder