Dashboard rattles in 2003 Forester

My 2003 Forester 2.5X which I purchased new in January seems to be developing a lot of dashboard rattles. There are plenty of creaks, clicks and pops mostly coming from the silver-colored center console around the auto transmission shifter. The whole console seems flimsy and has too many joints - it's just not solid enough.

Anyone else noticed this? This is my first Subaru and I must admit, I am disappointed to find that Subaru pays as little attention to this area as every other manufacturer. Frankly, I expected better from a car costing $30K CDN.

Hope it doesn't get any worse :(

Reply to
Sgt.Torg

I've had no problems whatever with my 2003 XS Premium. It might be worth looking around behind the console to see what's happening. It's very easy to remove both sections of the console, at least on the standard shift model. Lower section comes off by pulling back and up on the rear of the stick boot. I would expect that there would be a similar situation on the automatic model. This exposes the two screws that secure the top section. Remove these, and then slide a thin screwdriver around the edge to release the clips. Usually these kinds of things tend to break once removed, but these are actually pretty sturdy and they all stayed intact.

Good luck.

Reply to
BBB

If the sound system has been replaced or worked on it may have required the r&r of that panel. If so, maybe someone broke some clips.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Sgt.Torg wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Reply to
Mike

Mine is also flimsy and is starting to rattle...it is about a year and 1/2 old.

Reply to
Bart

Reply to
Captain1