97 Outback igintiton problem

Hi, intermittently, when I put my key in the ignition, it won?t turn to start the car. If I take the key out, and re insert, after fiddling with it a bit, the car starts. Is there anything I can spray in the ignition, or around it to free it up, or what else can be done. It has only done this about twice in the last 7 weeks, but it makes me nervous. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me. (the car runs fine otherwise) (best car I?ve ever owned)

One other question--if the ignition key was wearing out, could that cause this to happen? I?ve had the car 10 1/2 years and have used the same key all that time. Thank you.

Reply to
Lori

Try the other key. Keys can wear. If you have the code for the key another can be cut.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Lori:

I am assuming that you are aware that if the steering lock engages, you will need to rock the steering wheel left and right to free it. The rocking may require some effort.

If it is the lock itself, I would try squirting a lil electronics cleaner in the keyhole first.

Good luck!

Lori wrote:

Reply to
AS

Thank you--that was a really big help. I had forgotten about the steering wheel anti theft locking, whether the wheel is locked or not. DUH!!

Many thanks, AS

"AS" wrote: > Lori: > > I am assuming that you are aware that if the steering lock > engages, you > will need to rock the steering wheel left and right to free > it. The > rocking may require some effort. > > If it is the lock itself, I would try squirting a lil > electronics > cleaner in the keyhole first. > > Good luck! > > Lori wrote: > > Hi, intermittently, when I put my key in the ignition, it > won?t turn > > to start the car. If I take the key out, and re insert, > after fiddling > > with it a bit, the car starts. Is there anything I can spray > in the > > ignition, or around it to free it up, or what else can be > done. It has > > only done this about twice in the last 7 weeks, but it makes > me > > nervous. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give > me. (the car > > runs fine otherwise) (best car I?ve ever owned) > > > > One other question--if the ignition key was wearing out, > could that > > cause this to happen? I?ve had the car 10 1/2 years and have > used the > > same key all that time. Thank you. > >

Reply to
Lori