'99 OBS rear seat question

I have a pre-owned 99 Outback Sport. I believe that when the rear seats are folded down, there should be some type of strap to hold them down (or maybe even flat). There's a buckle-looking-thingie on the top rear of the seat, and there's a hook at the base of the seat. If that's the case, does anybody have a couple of the straps that they're willing to part with; or perhaps they're hidden somewhere in the car???

TIA, Rick

Reply to
rick

This may be totally in left field, but are you flipping the rear seat bench forward before putting the rear seat backs down? The bench seat pullup strap works its way underneath and is not easy to find sometimes.

That's the way my 99 OB Legacy works.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Call me stupid, but I have NO idea what you're talking about. What exactly is the rear bench supposed to do....slide forward, fold up, something else? I did notice that there are (what seem to be) molded handles along the bottom frot of the bench. Please enlighten me.

Reply to
rick

If the setup is like all my other OBW's then the hook you describe is on the bottom of the rear seat cushion and when you flip the rear seat cushion forward then the seat back flops down and with the headrests removed there are mating hooks on the top edge of the seat backs that join with the hooks on the flipped down-forward seat cushion to form a more solid surface.

Reply to
Greg

Since words have failed me, here's some pictures:

Jim Stewart

==================================================== Thanks. I had no idea the seats did that. Wow, I might find...like....a penny, or a french fry...or somethin'. I can't wait to check it out!

Thanks again, Rick

Reply to
rick

If it makes you feel better - our 99 OB wgn was lovingly detailed by the selling dealer EXCEPT for beneath the rear seat, where I found enough confectionery, bits of tile and marble, girl's hair combs and surplus barbie parts and accessories to fill a couple of shoe boxes! Sticky too! BTW, don't use the area below the cushion as a load area without folding the backrests down first, It's not a load bearing part of the car. Enjoy!

Reply to
hippo