Automatic vs. Manual

Some I'd > trust my life with, others I'm sure will get me killed, so I don't think > the criticisms of autos in general are unwarranted. But that's just my > opinion! >

Rick,

I agree with you in the general sense that SOME autos are very badly programmed or designed.

However, I disagree on your above point.....the amount of time it takes you to decide to change gear, hand off wheel, clutch in, change gear, clutch out, hand back on wheel is considerable, compared to the time it takes an auto to slip into another gear.

I dont think you can honestly believe that an auto could get you killed for selecting an incorrect gear, whereas a manual gear change will not.

Surely it is much safer to keep BOTH hands on the wheel, in an emergency situation, and let the auto trans. do the gear changing for you??? (and i mean EMERGENCY situation, which is what your post implied)

PS. coming from a racing background, I personally prefer manuals..... but autos DO have their place...... I just think some of the REASONS for your opinions are a little incorrect - even if i agree with the overall opinion itself.

Spinifex

Reply to
Spinifex

If he isn't correct, what did he say that's wrong?

The website is vague, and apparently wrong when it comes to describing the base automatic AWD system. I think this discussion began with their claim that it diverted torque to individual slipping wheels (instead it varies the front rear torque split between some fixed limits they seem reluctant to document).

The discussion wasn't about the VTD or VDC automatic system, it was about the one with no center differential that comes with the less expensive automatic cars. And that's the one that seems to have the least credible information online.

Reply to
David

?????

Well, doggone, now! Sure glad I know what a "simple" automatic transmission's going to do, otherwise I couldn't have put that last million miles on manuals! Not sure what correlation you see between the two, though! Everyone I know who can handle a stick can drive an auto (though few like 'em!) Not everyone who can drive an auto can handle a stick. Methinks I detect a hint of dyslexia in your argument.

So what does a "simple" auto do that I missed?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Subaru uses many different AWD systems, you can't make a blanket statement like that

Losiho

And let's not forget manual chokes on carburetors, it can't be more than 40 years since we last still saw come cars with manual chokes. These days, the manual chokes are gone, along with the entire carburetor.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Ten or fifteen years, tops.

Reply to
Bruce Hoult

The reason I was vague in my response is that this issue comes up over and over again... and it's been discussed and explained over and over again. Personally, I get tired of folks spitting out what they think is happening when it's clear they haven't done any research on their own. I don't think the Subaru website is vague at all.... and to say that it is 'apparently wrong' is just absurd. No one knows their vehicles better than Subaru... or are you implying they are being untruthful or just incompetent? If you *really* want to learn exactly what is happening, then spend the $20 for three day access to all of the the tech manuals for your car and learn on your own (that is if Subaru is still offering this... I downloaded all of my service manuals about a year ago). There are no Subarus that do not have a 'center' differential. Regards, John

Reply to
John A.

There is no center differential in an automatic Forester.

I've looked over all the AWD descriptions on the Subaru website, and there were places where there was more marketing hype than clear accurate technical desciptions. The factory service manual should be a much better source of info. From your previous post it sounded like you didn't have the FSM for the subes that don't have the center diff.

Reply to
David

The Subaru Australia website has a good overview of their three AWD systems. It's in Flash though, so you'll have to put up with some annoying load times:

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Guys,

The "you're all wrong" was tongue in cheek. I was demonstrating that there is yet another view/understanding of the AWD systems out there. the fact that it has caused so much divided opinions is testament of the misunderstanding and/or how many different systems are used by the same company.

Without trying to be too Pollyanna about things, some people are just getting a bit too serious about the debates on this group. shouldn't it be more about sharing experiences and info. There is sooo much judgement here. Subaru is not the best car maker and their products are not perfect. we don't need to defend the brand.

So, lets all hold hands and say " its OK, these cars have issues, just like any car".

Furthermore, as a newbie, I have found some very helpful info here, I don't agree that I should research the world and be an expert before asking a question. I want to and need to benefit from your research!

cheers - Tuan

Reply to
td

David, There is indeed a center differential... as there must be in all AWD vehicles. Perhaps it's a matter of terminology? The differential is built directly into the transmission, but it is indeed there...I may also be referred to as a transfer clutch... but the effect is the same. It is in between the front and rear axles (i.e. center) and accounts for differences in front and rear wheel speeds.

Here's a link to check out (broad audience... not very technical):

's the link for technical info:
John

Reply to
John A.

I realized after I posted, that you might consider the transfer clutch a center differential. It certainly allows the front & rear wheels to turn at different speeds. By differential, I was referring to a geared differential.

Reply to
David

VERY good response td..... I can't agree with you more....

This is NOT a venue for discussing why someone should NOT purchase a Subaru... readers here have ALREADY purchased their Subaru, on the whole...... it is meant as a forum for people to ask relevant sensible (sometimes even stupid) questions, of peers who can generally answer through their own experiences...

If you want to bag Subaru, or Ford, or any other manufacturer... go post your comments in alt.autos.im_a_sad_bastard_whining_loser.all_manufacturers......... i'm sure you'll get the flamer & troll replies you are craving

Sp> Guys,

Reply to
Spinifex

What do you drive? At 55MPH, my passing gear is 3rd. 4th just doesn't cut it, until the speed pickes up a little.

2003 Forester 2.5/5-speed.
Reply to
David

It's all preference to me. I like to be in control of the gears when I am driving. The auto takes that away from me.

Reply to
Henry Paul

I have a '96 Impreza 2.2. The speed limits here are 65mph on rural state highways. If I have to use 4th to pass, I am around 4k rpm.

Reply to
Henry Paul

Why? Does the 2.5 use a different transmission? I don't see how engine size would determine 5th gear rpm unless the capabilities of the engine dictate that it run at that speed. My peak torque/hp are around 4500rpm. I'm not sure of the exact number right now.

Reply to
Henry Paul

I just came back from a road trip in my 2.2 5-speed Impreza. I averaged about 32mpg on the highway most of the trip.

Reply to
Henry Paul

I spent a few months commuting in Chicago rush hour with a 5-speed and I understand all about clutching in stop and go. What I learned to do was try to idle along in 1st or keep it in neutral and coast along.

I still prefer a stick, rush hour or not. :)

Reply to
Henry Paul

UTAH

If I can get up enough speed before the hill, I will stay in 5th as I have enough torque to climb with no problem. If I have insufficient speed, I will shift to 4th to pull the hill.

Reply to
Henry Paul