bulb replacement

My radio display on a 2003 Forester has gone dark. I Have the in-dash 6 cd changer radio. How do I replace bulbs or what ever provides the light. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Spider

The illumination is internal in the radio, not readily replaceable bulbs as in the instrument cluster and elsewhere. If you have the appropriate skills and tools it may be possible to open the unit and solder in new bulbs, as long as you can source out the correct type. Otherwise your best bet may be to look for a replacement radio, they are available used at reasonable prices on Ebay and in the classifieds at

You don't need the exact radio, a head unit from any late model Subaru will plug in and work with no modifications.

Reply to
mulder

It's an "electroluminescent display" and it's not reparable, at least not for what an aftermarket radio would cost. You might find a used stock radio on eBay.

Reply to
nobody >

I'm pretty sure the display intensity works in conjunction with the headlights, and maybe with the dimmer for the instrument illumination as well. Whatever, you might try playing with the headlights and dimmer knob to see if you can get it to work (instrument illumination set to max dim?), You might also check the associated fuse, and the plug into the head unit. Failing that, probably no fix for it, at least not an easy one. Best bet then would be to upgrade the head unit, or find a used Subaru one. Probably around $100 on ebay.

ByeBye! S. Steve Jernigan KG0MB Laboratory Manager Microelectronics Research University of Colorado (719) 262-3101