DIY cv-joint ** Help!!!!!!!

Can someone tell me how to replace passanger side CV-Joint ? I'm replace the whole thing (doggy bone), But I do not know how to get it off (the old one) from trans case? thanks James

Reply to
SHUNJU HU

For the front CV-JOINT, and it is 94 LEGACY front wheel drive. sorry! James

Reply to
SHUNJU HU

The inner joint has a roll pin that needs to be driven out to remove the axle from the differential. Look closely at the holes in the hub before driving the roll pin out. One hole will be slightly beveled and the other not. Use the beveled hole to drive the pin out and use the same hole to insert the pin. Do yourself a huge favor and use a drift pin of the proper size to drive the roll pin out. What you don't want to do is to break something off inside the hub or jam something in the hole. Now you will have a huge problem. Can't think of the correct size for the roll pin but since you have the replacement axle, use it to find the correct size. The new axle should have a new roll pin also. Also look at the new axle to find the hole I tried to describe and the beveled side.

Reply to
johninKY

It was a great day to work on car today. hot is not the word, it was burning on my driveway. Everything went very smooth except the drive shift seized so i couldn't get it out. I ended up replacing the knuckle, bearing, oil seal, and wheel hub from dealer. Of coarse the drive shaft(cv-joint). FYI cost me $407 But I did it. ~Thanks James

Reply to
SHUNJU HU

It would have come out with a swift swing or two of a sledge hammer. Very few just pull out of the hub, some you can tap out others you just have to beat them out.

Steve

Reply to
SuperPoo

In my experience, at least with the newer soobies, the axle will usually come out of the hub without excessive force. Support the axle in line with the hub and push the outer end with the heel of your hand. Sometimes a light tap with a rubber mallet will get things moving, but much more than a light tap is likely to damage the wheel bearings. Sometimes "beating them out" is necessary, especially if there is rust, but usually a large gear puller can be used to push a stubborn axle from the hub; pull against the wheel lugs, and push the axle center. I have an old wheel spacer that I use with the puller to give the jaws something to grip; you might have to be creative with your junk box to get the puller centered, but try that before resorting to hammering on the end of the axle. If you _do_ find that you will need to hammer on the axle to separate it from the hub, go ahead and pull the hub as well; you'll want to install new bearings prior to reassembly.

ByeBye! S.