Which car for ease of repairs

Hi Group,

It's that time again to change the car. Currently got a fiesta 1.25

1999. Current one is just about to go over 100k and is starting to make a bearing rattle noise. Not the alternator I've tried that. Any ideas?

It's been ok but needed a few things in the 70k miles I've used it over.

Any recommendations on small cars in of the 2000 to 2003 year.

I'm looking for something reliable and easy to service.

Have just done a few jobs on the fiesta. I have to say the fiesta is a bitch to work on. I had a MK3 fiesta years ago and that was much easier to work on in the engine bay. Even changing the head light bulbs on the current fiesta is damn awkward. No room to get your hands in at anything.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

Should say the bearing rattle noise is coming from the engine. Nothing to do with the wheels or gearbox. Most easily heard when just at idle.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

virtually any japanese one you fancy

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Have you checked the timing gear?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Very much better to buy a car that doesn't need working on. You just missed the Which guide!

Basically avoid French, Italian, US owned makes other than Ford. If you must get a VW get a Skoda or at a push Audi and don't get a Spanish one.

Rated Very Good Honda Toyota (though I saw one with Marina taillight syndrome last night, it had a Taxi plate on it) Diahatsu (very small sample - vss) Lexus Mazda Subaru Suzuki

Rated Good Hyundai Mitsubishi Porsche - vss

Average Mini Nissan (avoid cars with French input?) Ford BMW Skoda Kia Proton - very vvs Merc - Benz Audi Jaguar

Rated Poor Vauxhall Citroen Volvo VW Peugot Smart - vss Chevrolet - vss Daewoo - vss Jeep - vss

Rated Very Poor SAAB Seat MG - vss Alfa Romeo (not bottom!!) - vss Rover Fiat Renault (learnt nothing from Nissan and rumored to have affected EU made Nissan by introducing crap to the supply chain) Land Rover Chrysler/Dodge

Note these are range average. There are models in every range of good or very good marques that pull them down. There are models in poor or very poor marques that pull them up. The Which guide had a breakdown of current production by market segment over 4 or so pages. The service and warranty you get on a new car goes a long way to alleviate or blow up any issues. Once out of warranty the crap just dies while the good go on and on.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Is that any good?

The ancient (pre much US presence) rule was avoid British, French and Italian cars...

Did Which? not spot that the British built Civic appears to be letting the side down? My mother has had these for years and the last two have been, frankly, poor. My definition of 'poor' being a car that fails en route or fails to proceed..not a light bulb not working or result of user neglect etc. My other definition of poor is any car that is less reliable than the Alfa I've owned for 8 years purely because Alfas are

*always* defined by the masses as rubbish - so they must be. The Civic matches both these definitions..surprisingly!

Of course, individual models may be better or worse than the average so why is the Civic significant? In central Scotland (according to a mate who's desperate for a very nearly new Accord) there are no Accords on dealer forecourts round here..just Civics. I'm surprised, but we are in a depression..

Reply to
Zathras

Having looked at the engine bays of Accords and Civics over the last ten years, all of them looked horrible for access to me. The supposed upside is that you don't need access..

Reply to
Zathras

drive it till it dies, probably last for ages....

Reply to
john

Just had a look under a bonnet of a Fiat Punto. My god there is acres of spaces. Change a light bulb a dream. But it is a fiat.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

I remember looking into my first company Punto ages ago, and thinking 'washing machine'. At a distance the bits looked kind of similar....

Reply to
Adrian C