Headlight fixtures from 1998 Legacy

My Subaru Legacy 1998 headlights are aimed too low and the adjusters are too seized up to reaim them. The headlights seem dim as well, which my Subaru mechanic says might be the result of lens pitting over the years. The mechanic was not able to make any adjustments and says I should look into getting a new set of aftermarket headlights, if they are available, because used headlights might have the same pitting/dimness problem as I have now. Has anyone purchased new headlights for a 1998 Legacy on the aftermarket? If so, any recommendations about where to purchase them? Are there any special ordering details to watch out for?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
W. Thornton Martin

The least expensive approach would be to try one of the several polishing kits for headlight lenses. I think Meguiars makes one.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

So what does "dim" mean? That the level of light output is less than what you expect? Or that the lens has become more opaque and possibly yellowed? If the former is your problem, what prevent you from replacing the bulbs? If the latter is your problem, the following worked very well for me on a 92 Legacy (I found the product at an Advance Auto Parts store):

There are the screws holding the frame around the headlamp onto the body. There are screws that adjust the aim. If the aim screws are so rusted up that you cannot move them, what happens when you spray to soak them with lube (the kind that penetrates rust)? You could get used headlamps and move the frame from them to your old headlamps, or just use the entire assembly for the used headlamp. A used car may not have been as used as yours. A used one from my local salvage place (that has 1-year warranty on their parts) costs $99 and is listed in A-grade quality. Still cheaper than buying a new one at $225. I'm sure the Subaru mechanic would far prefer you buy a new one from their parts shop and pay Subaru for putting it in and charge you for the alignment.

Reply to
VanguardLH

The perceived headlight dimness may be due to the low aiming or a hazing on the lenses, At one point I changed both headlight bulbs thinking that the lamp output had degraded. I just hope I'm not going blind! I will try the lens polish and try to free up the adjusting screws with some solvent. Since I live very near Cargill Salt, operators of America's largest deepest salt mine, corrosion of unprotected metal objects such as screws and springs is very common in this area. Salt is certainly the deicing material of choice around here. Headlights on the later model Subarus are not aimable at all, so I am either lucky or unlucky depending upon how one looks at it.

Bill

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Reply to
W. Thornton Martin

I have found headlight assemblies made by Replacement (about $150) and TYC ($210). Not sure what accounts for the $60 difference. I'll call the Subaru dealer tomorrow to see what they have just as a high-end comparison.

Bill

W. Thornt> The perceived headlight dimness may be due to the low aiming or a hazing

Reply to
W. Thornton Martin

Headlight assemblies are $260 each at Subaru and $230 locally at Advantage auto parts store.

Bill

Reply to
W. Thornton Martin