2000 neon trunk won't unlock

The key to my 2000 Neon turns way past the unlock point but it won't unlock the trunk. I have to trunk release inside the car. What must I do?

On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 03:18:02 GMT, Mongey

Is your Neon equipped with some kind of anti-theft system? It almost sounds as if the anti-theft system is disengaging the trunk lock from the latch, and can only be overridden by your using the trunk release that is inside the cabin.
James Rau