I HATE THE POWER WINDOWS

YOU NEED THE KEY TO OPERATE THEM IF YOU ARE PARKED THIS IS A PAIN IF YOU LEAVE SOMEBODY IN THE CAR THEY CANT OPERATE THE WINDOWS IF YOU LEAVE THEM THE KEY THEY ARE SUBJECT TO CAR JACKING IF THEY ARE IN THE CAR AND IT GETS HOT THEY CANT OPEN THE WINDOWS IF IT RAINS OR GETS COLD THEY CANT CLOSE THE WINDOWS IF A STRANGER WALKS PAST AS MY WIFE BREAST FEEDS SHE CANT OPERATE THE WINDOWS IF I AM NOT THERE

I HATE POWER WINDOWS IN MY 2004 IMPREZA SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS LOCK

Reply to
Marketing

Then why did you buy a car with power windows? Duhhhaaaaaa............

Reply to
Subbies Two

That would describe how the power windows work in all the vehicles I have ever owned that had them.

Reply to
Henry Paul

Try and buy a car without power windows. Esp. if it has all the other features you want.

Al

Reply to
Al

Unfortunately, it's damned hard to do these days in anything but inexpensive vehicles.

Can you even get a base legacy or impreza without power windows in 2005?

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

then you need to buy the optional acessory from subaru i think its part number 38dd .its the subaru breast feeding shield. works good.

Reply to
philjackson

You don't trust your wife with the car keys? Do you let her wear shoes?

Reply to
Ragnar

But then he would only have 6 things left to whine about..........

Reply to
Subbies Two

Who forced you to buy a car with power windows? And what does this have to do with Subaru since all cars with power windows may have the same issues.

Reply to
John A.

I know of only one vehicle that allows power window operation without the key, and that is the Ford F-150, at least in 1998. However, there's a catch - as soon as you open the door, you'll need the key to operate the windows again. (?) Presumably this is for those "doh!" moments where you shut the car off THEN realize the windows are still open.

So, basically he'd need to shut the Ford off, then leap out of the window Dukes of Hazzard style in order to allow his passengers to continue playing with the windows.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Add one wire and the windows can be ON all the time, even with the key out. Very easy. But it increases the chances of the car being stolen, since a hanger wire could press the window control from the outside, though it's unlikely the thief would know to try.

Reply to
Alan Peterman

Most vehicles made by GM that have the radio stay on until the door is open work this way as well. The other option is get out of vehicle, have passenger roll the window down, turn vehicle off and hand you the key.

Reply to
WRXtreme

My Mitsi Diamante used to have power to the windows for about 10 seconds after key witched off. It's taking a bit of getting used to having to now make sure I have windows shut first.

-- John B

Reply to
John B

VW's let you use radio windows etc until the door is opened

Reply to
busterb

VW's let you use radio windows etc until the door is opened

Reply to
busterb

VW's let you use radio windows etc until the door is opened

Reply to
busterb

VW's used to always let you use the radio. Nice for dead batteries!

Reply to
Rob Munach

snip

Out of interest where would you add it in? Personally I would find this handy. Maybe best to add in a momentarily on over-ride switch on the dash so it could be used only as required. Would you have to deactivate the ignition power feed to the power windows though? Be a pita to have to use the over ride switch all the time.

F. Plant

Reply to
F. Plant

Couldn't be much different than the car lights...

Reply to
Brian

It only requires that you wire constant power to the Green/White wire to the power window relay. You could easily route the constant power through a switch installed in one of the blank spots near the fog light switch. Just splice into that wire, perhaps with a diode (though it's not needed) power from any constant source and it will power up the relay that puts power to the window system. Only downside would be that the relay draws some power and would draw down the battery in a week or two. You could completely REMOVE the relay and wire across the Green/Black to White/Green heavy wires and the power would always be on. You need to use a HEAVY duty switch if you tried to control the main power.

These wire codes are from the 2002-2004 Impreza wiring diagram, it might be different in the Legacy or other years - but I suspect it's the same. Just look at the wiring diagram in the service manual and you'll see how easy it is.

Reply to
Alan Peterman