Legacy "ABS" system motor keeps running and drains

Hello all, My daughters 1995 Legacy has a problem that?s driving me nuts! Her battery keeps draining and I am hearing a "hum" and feeling a vibration coming from the ABS (whatever it is!) device located in the front left area under the hood as you look directly under the hood. This "device" often keeps running two hours or more after the car is shut off. This ABS device has an electical connection and several tubes and fitting running in and out of it. The battery is brand new. Has anyone heard of this problem and whether it?s an easy fix? Thanks in advance to anyone that can offer some help! Jim Layton, Utah

Reply to
teddysmith1952

Your ABS is your Anti-lock Braking System the hum you feel is the valves opening & closing for emergency stop operation. The problem you are experiencing is most likely the relay switch in your ABS is bad ( It gets stuck on the ON position & hence flattens your battery). The good news is that it is a cheap part to fix. From memory I cannot remember exactly where the relay switch is. Its either in the black fuse box in the engine bay or in the ABS unit under the black cover(and I'm pretty sure its here). If you remove this relay switch the ABS brakes will not work, the car's brake will still function but without this added safety feature. Regards Mike

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

mike

"MIKE53" wrote: > Your ABS is your Anti-lock Braking System > the hum you feel is the valves opening & closing for emergency > stop > operation. > The problem you are experiencing is most likely the relay > switch in your ABS > is bad ( It gets stuck on the ON position & hence flattens > your battery). > The good news is that it is a cheap part to fix. > From memory I cannot remember exactly where the relay switch > is. Its either > in the black fuse box in the engine bay or in the ABS unit > under the black > cover(and I'm pretty sure its here). If you remove this relay > switch the ABS > brakes will not work, the car's brake will still function but > without this > added safety feature. > Regards > Mike > > "teddysmith1952" wrote in > message > news:41b222aa$1 snipped-for-privacy@alt.athenanews.com... > > Hello all, > > My daughters 1995 Legacy has a problem that's driving me > nuts! Her > > battery keeps draining and I am hearing a "hum" and feeling > a > > vibration coming from the ABS (whatever it is!) device > located in the > > front left area under the hood as you look directly under > the hood. > > This "device" often keeps running two hours or more after > the car is > > shut off. This ABS device has an electical connection and > several > > tubes and fitting running in and out of it. The battery is > brand new. > > Has anyone heard of this problem and whether it's an easy > fix? > > Thanks in advance to anyone that can offer some help! > > Jim > > Layton, Utah > >

> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: > >
Hello Mike,

I really appreciate your troubleshooting expertise, and will take a look for that relay switch tomorrow morning.

Thanks very much! Jim

Reply to
teddysmith1952