MY02 WRX ABS Problems

Absolutely correct. In slippery conditions it may well increas braking distances.

It does feel weird, doesn't it. In fact, many people come off the brake when experiencing it for the first time in an emergency situation.... which is, of course, completely the wrong reaction. You should keep your foot in and let the abs do the work - it pulses several times a second, far quicker than you or I can cadence brake - at the same time steering around the obstruction.

There are all sorts of reasons why people start experiencing abs for the first time in a Rex other than 'over-sensitivity'. Mostly it's because the car inspires such confidence that they are driving a little bit faster and braking a little bit later without realising it. On the other hand, the road surface hasn't got any better and the standard-fit tyres haven't got any grippier . Also, and this is one of the few legitimate criticisms of the car, the pedal pressures required are too light and the pedals lack feel and feedback. (This applies as much to the clutch and the brake.)

David Betts snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk

Reply to
David Betts

Well I didn't think I would provoke suck a reaction with my Question!

Needless to say I am a little wary of starting something else but here is my original question:

-------------------Copy------------------------------------------- My MY02 REX has ABS activation problems and low speed when the break is not being applied heavily (just covered, just enough for the rear break lights to activate) , mostly while turning and mainly on encumbered (rough) road. Any body had a similar problem? Keep in mind I just changed the rims around and the service Dept has blown out the Callipers. It only effects the Front Right Hand Side only, I am talking about just 1-5 Kmph (mostly pulling into a car park etc..) not even applying the break really just covering it.

------------------PASTE-----------------------------------------------

On the subject most of the other guys are talking about I believe in Australia Subaru altered the ABS sensitivity on all imports for our conditions. Maybe this make our day to day ABS better, Which I must admit until my resent problem I never used! (only on gravel)

Anyway Good luck Hacking it out ANDY and DAVID

Andrew C (Mr Blobby as he is now known)

Reply to
Mr Blobby

david, all,

just so we know we're not comparing apples to apples here, remember that the USDM wrx comes with 16" rims and tires, unlike the european market models.

lots of folks over here have reported that switching to 17" rims/tires made a surprising difference in the sensitivity of the ABS system, for the better. since 17" rims are apparently what the car was designed around (the original size), it makes some sense.

jm2c ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

Good observation Ken

Reply to
Mr Blobby

that is how mine "over-reacts" too. and all this time i thought it was my American hammed footed driving

Mik

PeterD" wrote:

Reply to
Michael P. Smith

Yep.. will do that. I had a spot where the road is very warped from trucks stopping there. The ABS always kicks in at that spot as the tires bounce over those little ripples. Just doing what they are suppose to do. You should take the car out and (in snow or rain) really step on them and get the feel of what the ABS does. Keeps you straight.

Reply to
Mike B.