overhead cam engine to Brat swap

Will an overhead cam engine from a station wagon fit in an '83 Brat? Will it bolt up to the Brat transaxle & will the Brat flywheel fit? TIA, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

there - I think you could make it fit but those guys are the experts.

Reply to
Rat

Thanks Rat, I'll give them a try. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

From what I've seen and read, Subaru engines are pretty compatible across the model lines and decades, I've even seen pictures of a BRAT with a WRX engine. (Although I don't know what modifications were needed to make it fit.)

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Hmmm... Any ideas on whether one of the new 6-speed trannies (such as can be found in the STi or the new Legacy / Liberty -- and I don't even know whether this is the same transmission or not) can be transplanted to my Forester? I'll probably never actually fork over the cash for such a transplant, but I like to know what my options are. You never know when a great deal on a roll-over STi or 6-speed Legacy with an intact drivetrain might come along...

And why did Subaru decide to use "Liberty" in Oz to describe the car that is "Legacy" in the entire rest of the world (AFAIK)? Is there some other car wearing the name "Legacy" down there, necessitating a name change to avoid stepping on another automaker's toes? Does the word "Legacy" connote something distasteful to Aussie culture? Or was it just to confound us all?

- Greg Reed

--

1983 Honda V45 Magna 2001 Chevy Astro AWD (wife's) 2004 Subaru Forester Turbo 5-Speed

- The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!-----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

Reply to
Ignignokt

I'm not entirely sure about the whole Legacy/Liberty thing. I think there may be a few other places in the world that use the Liberty name though. It isn't uncommon for automakers to use different names in different parts of the world however.

-Matt

P.S. Torch the dresser, Meatwad. :)

Reply to
Hallraker

AUSTRALIA

Here in Oz, the name Legacy refers to a volunteer organisation set up to assist War Widows & their families. I'm not sure which war, WWI or WWII, but the name Liberty was used to differentiate between the organisation and the car. I don't know if it was assumed War Widows / families would take offence.

Hope this clears up the confusion

Spinifex

Ignignokt wrote:

Reply to
Spinifex

AUSTRALIA

As an aside to that question Greg, it might interest you to know that in Oz (not sure about the rest of the world), Mitsubishi had a 4x4 vehicle named the Pajero.

This name was changed for the Spanish speaking markets, as apparently (correct me if I am wrong) the word "pajero" in Spanish means "wanker" !!!

Sp> *** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeed.com ***

Reply to
Spinifex

I think that was the vehicle known as the Montero here in the US.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker