Electrical plug next to #5 spark plug

What is it, & is it needed? '83 280 ZX: I'm swapping in an '80 model engine & it dosen't have that plug. Can I do without it? If not, can I drill & tap the '80 head? TIA, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Nope, it's the temp sensor for the fuel injection.

Nope, you're likely to ruin the head trying. You need the thermostat housing from the 80 model as that's where the sensor was located on the earlier models, then you have to extend the wires on the harness to reach up to that location. The car won't run without that sensor and the other holes in your 83 housing won't accept that specific sensor.

Reply to
Steve T

Thanks, Steve: that's pretty much what I expected. I don't think I have the other housing or sensor, so I'll give you a call if I ever get any money. I guess this car is parked for awhile longer... Know anyone that would be interested in it? It's *really* nice, with air dam, sideskirts, rear spoiler, & custom paint. It's a 5-speed, too, & has new tires & battery. Beautiful "French Beige" with candy red panels/stripes w/smoke & black fogged around the edges, & a nice red interior. Thanks again, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

These don't seem to be bringing much money right now. All the z's from the

79's to the 88's are a pretty dead market, they either want the early cars or the late model ones.
Reply to
Steve T