sealer pealing?

Hi All,

2006 Forrester

On one the left side panels between the passenger window and the back window, some clean substance is pealing.

Is there some kind of sealer on my paint?

And is the pealing going to eventually happen everywhere?

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd

Almost certainly the clearcoat. Has that part of the vehicle been to the body shop? I've never seen that happen on the original factory paint on a Subaru.

Reply to
John McGaw

Hi John,

I bought it used. So who knows. It is an upper panel near the roof.

Can clear coat be reapplied?

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd

Yes, it can be resprayed as long as the underlying paint is good and it is prepared properly. I've got no idea how much spraying a small panel like that might cost but if you can get a local body-shop to fit it in between their spraying of other cars you might get a bargain since they'd already have the material in the gun. You might want to ask them about doing the required masking yourself -- is a tedious task that they would often rather avoid. If it is adjacent to glass then removing the glass and seals would be optimal but that can be difficult-to-impossible to accomplish neatly and will never be cheap to have it done.

Reply to
John McGaw

Follow up:

When by my mechanic, who sent me to his favorite body shop. The panel in question is PLASTIC and is reacting to sun light. Cost $260 and two days (rental car is about $60.00 per day with full insurance) to fix it. Gulp!

The paint under the sealer is starting to turn to powder. This is why the sealer is bubbling and pealing.

If you run your finder across the bare paint, you get paint on your finger

I understand that paint used on plastic has more elasticity to it to match the plastic. Now I wonder about the clear coat. If same as for steel parts, adhesion may not be as good.

Been a long time since I became familiar with car painting but back in those days bake ovens for the steel bodies primer subcoat were pretty hot as were the paint curing ovens and plastic parts were painted off line at lower temperatures.

My wife's '08 Forester has painted lower body panels and bumpers and it cost insurance quite a bit when she got paint on them from wet road lines not dry after painting.

My '03 Forester has black color sealed panels which if scuffed can just be buffed out. May not look as nice as wife's but much more user friendly.

Sun is one of paints worst enemies. Our Foresters' paint looks practically new as cars are parked in garage when home.

Reply to
Frank