Shifting 94 impreza

hi, i recently posted a message about when to shift gears in a 1994 impreza. Sadly, a fight broek out and i never got my question answered (see post from

2 nights ago) Im just learning manual and it doesnt help that i dont have a tach.

I was wondering what speeds its safe to shift gears at, or if anyone can tell me the typical redline speeds on flat ground.

thanks alex

Reply to
A Doc

Assuming yours is similar to mine 1993 Impreza (which has tachometer so I find it odd that 1994 does not).

I shift at 3,000-3,500: above 10 mph -> 2nd above 25-30 mph -> 3rd above 40-45 mph -> 4th above 55-60 mph -> 5th

(Going by memory, never really paid that much attention to it).

DK

Reply to
D.K.

A quick google search pops up...

You might also consider an hour's tuition with a driving instructor (or a friend), and picking his/her brains.

(You'll know when you're close to the redline as the power and acceleration will taper off, just don't change down a gear when at high revs or you may jump over the redline)

Ian.

Reply to
Ian Brown

bup bup bup bup) and slam it into the next gear. Not real good for the trans, but who cares. IM KIDDING. There is no "real" rpm or mph to shift, its all your personal preference. Naturally aspirated engines have a pretty wide powerband, and unless you shift WAY to soon (lugging the hell out of it) your doing fine. Take if from someone who drive for 2 days with a broken clutch cable :) REAL fun at stoplights...

Reply to
NitroTrike

Without a tach I gauge by acceleration. If you shift gears and the engine lags a bit before it takes off, you shifted too soon. Other than that there is no "set" time to shift. Most user manuals will provide a speed range for your speedometer.

Reply to
Henry Paul