starting problem starting

My '97 legacy wagon has been running OK for years but recently I've noticed whenever I turn the ignition it just clicks and nothing happens. I do it again and it starts. This has been happening more often and I fear that something is about to go wrong and I won't be able to start the car, late at night in the boonies. Is this an indication of an upcoming battery problem? Starter problem? Something else?

Thanks, Wayne

2.2L engine
Reply to
wayne

I would start by checking all the battery and engine ground connections. (in other words, all the thicker wires)

I would follow with a voltage measuremente while cranking. Anything less than 9V indicates a battery ready to go.

You can also check the voltage in the thinner wire at the starter, the one that comes from the ignition switch.

If the voltage readings are ok, then you can think about the starter problem, but I would not think this as the cause of the problem.

Good luck!

wayne wrote:

Reply to
AS

Start with getting your battery load tested.

I've had contacts on an ignition switch go out on me on a Honda civic years ago that gave similar symptoms, but that was a total fluke I think.

Reply to
Todd H.

Thank you very much. I'll start with the battery.

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

Thanks. I'll check the connections.

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

This problem is usually caused by the contacts in the starter motor solenoid being dirty/worn. Change the contacts: an hours easy work.

Reply to
Limey Lurker

Reply to
Robert L Wilson

If you use pennies, after 1980 or so they are zinc with copper cladding. Use only those before 1980. (they still are not 'pure' copper)

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan