Tye wear

I have an 05 OBW with 15000 klm (9000 mls) on the clock. The car is fitted with Geolander G900 tyres. I needed to remove one of the rear wheels today and the wear in the tyre astounded me. The wear is even across the centre of the tyre and the other one is about in the same condition. I would say they would need replacement by 25000 klm (15000 miles). The two front tyres show a little less wear than the rear tyres.

Can anyone tell me what I should be getting out of these tyres driving under normal weather conditions on fully sealed roads. I normally run 29 / 30 psi in them.

thanks,

phil

Reply to
Phil

Edward Hayes

Cannot say, but, most people do not realize that tires do not wear linearly, i.e. wear is rapid at first and slows down with time. Tire warranties normally screw you like this, where they will say, half the tread is gone, therefore we'll only pay half. I understand that tread wears more rapidly in the beginning because unreinforced rubber wiggles on the road and as it wears, starts to stiffen and does not wear as rapidly.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Typically, the fronts go faster than the rears; not quite a 2:1, but close to that. I'd ask your dealership to check the rear alignment for proper "toe" adjustment, often the "factory" setting leaves a lot to be desired. I'd expect 20-30K miles out of the stock tires before they _really_ needed replacement.

ByeBye! S.

S wrote: be desired.

I have heard that if you click your rear seat belt 23 times, do two 360 spins and then spin exactly 140 degrees while clicking your heels three times and repeating there is no place like home, you can double your expected tire wear.

Reply to
normzauchin

This is true, but you have to do it every time you get into, or out of your car. Also, you have to run three times around the car, CCW in the northern hemisphere, and CW in the southern, while you reciting the "no-place-like-home" litany, simply clicking your heels isn't sufficient. Maybe that's why so few people have reported good results using this method. Really, the best way I have found to make your tires last longer is to dis-connect your spark plugs. I don't know why this works, but it does :-D

ByeBye! S.

Yeah, but the "check engine" light will come on and stay on until you do the spins in reverse.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Darn!!!! I went 'round the wrong way. Does that mean they will all wear twice as fast or will it only apply to the spare ? ? ?

while you reciting the

Reply to
Bugalugs

Oooohhhhh...

Watch carefully. It's been reported this has caused all four regular tires to turn to donuts and the donut spare become full-sized. Be sure to check daily--you don't want to wake up to a nasty surprise!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

and I was looking for signs of intelligent life out there...how foolish

Reply to
Phil

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Just turned 50,000 miles on the original Geolander 900s, and there's still plenty of tread left. I'm hoping to get another 5 - 8,000 out of them.

I've read so many posts here berating the Geolanders, but I honestly think they're decent tires, and I may even buy them again. They hold the road well and I've never had any reason to be unhappy with them.

I rotate faithfully every 8,000 miles, keep them at 31psi, and my driving is mostly highway.

Just my 2c worth.

Larry Davis 2003 Forester XS

Reply to
Larry Davis

Reply to
Edward Hayes

To those who have driven on nothing but the Geos on their Foresters. My experience when I switched to the Goodyear Assurance TripleTreads was astounding in terms of comfort, grip (wet, dry and especially snow) and the treadwear rating for the TripleTreads are roughly 3 times that of the Geos and the Traction rating for the Geos is B wheras the TripleTreads is A. I didn't even give the Geos a chance to wear out, I replaced them at 17,000 km and got a credit for saleable tires on the trade. Check out www.tirerack .com. The Tripletreads are the highest rated all-seasons they have. yes, better than the michelin HydroEgde. For me, driving on the West Coast (i.e.: rain) they are the right tire for this vehicle.

Reply to
Grolsch

The factory recommended tyre pressures for Outbacks is VERY low for ride comfort. When I fitted new Geolander G040s for my MY99 Outback, the tyre dealer said to run 36psi all round (which I always do). Several Oz Outback owners have also been told to run 36psi in the tyres from Subaru dealers, and some owners have found their tyres already pumped to 36psi when taking delivery of a new Outback.

Bump up the air pressure in your tyres, it will help with tyre wear and life.

Reply to
Losiho