WRX: why same side tires rotation?

WRX manual says to rotate tires front to rear on the same side.

The tires look bidirectional to me (standard OEM tires), why is it necessary to stay on the same side?

Reply to
peter

they are NOT normally 'bidirectional'! usually there is a little arrow giving the direction of rotation - hence 'same side'

alan

Reply to
albob

what year is this ?

Reply to
DG

Never change the rotation of any tires anyway.

Jean Grenier "peter" a écrit dans le message de news: QeUfd.3970$C_6.2631@trnddc04...

Reply to
Ginette/Jean

This is 2004. You been in a coma? :)

Reply to
Alan

The stock tires on a US spec 2004 WRX are Bridgestone Poetenza RE92. These are non-directional tires, and could be reversed if the car manufacturer calls for it. He was talking about the tires being "bidirectional".

Reply to
y_p_w

Some manufacturers recommend

My '95 Integra GS-R came with non-directional Michelin XGT-V4 tires. The manufacturer's recommendation for non-directional tires was to move the front tires straight back, the left-back to right front, and the right-back to left-front. Of course the recommendation was different if directional tires were installed.

Reply to
y_p_w

Reply to
Hallan Blaggit

In answer to your question. No you do not have to get left and right ones. All the tires are the same, just the way they mount them on the rims is different. If you think about it there are two possible ways to mount a tire on a rim. If you call one side of the tire A and other B, you can mount A up or B up. This determines the direction of the rim and tire on the car. For this reason on directional tires you have to keep them on the same side of the car. If you really wanted to move the tire to the other side you could unmount it from rim, turn over, and remount. However this serves no real purpose in my mind.

Refer to

general rules for how to rotate tires for different drive trains. Cheers, Ed

Reply to
Edward Arata

There are many types of directional tires. The most common have a symmetric pattern along the center length of the tire. Then there are assymmetric tires. Some manufacturers even make side (left or right) specific assymmetric tires. Each side is a mirror image of each other.

Of course some cars even go with different sized tires by design, although I don't recall an AWD/4WD car with such a setup. Think Corvette, BMW M3/M5, or any number of exotic supercars. With such a setup, tire rotation isn't possible.

Reply to
y_p_w