12 volt car heater/defroster that works?

and?

and it is still just as wrong as it was the first time you said it. No inherent reason that the plenum has to be bigger to have a removable cover... nor more expensive and I think we can live with the extra ounce of plastic.

I'm glad they got something right.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

But the GOOD ones aren't timed by a rubber band- Cadillac Northstar: chains, Chrysler 4.7 and Hemi: chains, even the otherwise mediocre Ford Modular has chains. Belts are fine for non-interference engines, not for valve-smashers. And yes, I know that the Chrysler "world engine" is a smasher. So is the 2nd-gen 3.5. Doesn't make it smart, but at least its not the WHOLE engine lineup like Honduh.

Reply to
Steve

Go ahead. Design it, then if you think its so easy. What you're neglecting is maneuvering room. Just putting a trapdoor in a plenum doesn't gain you anything unless you provide room to get hands and tools in to release the part, and a clear path to maneuver the part out of the plenum. That means that you can't have other ducts, wires, and fittings in the way. Accomplishing all of that together makes it bigger, heavier, and more expensive.

Reply to
Steve

FWIW, I have a 1990 Beretta and a 1990 Chev 1/2 Ton. Both are on the original fuel pumps.

Ray

Reply to
ray

Oh now you are just trying to be silly. Of course you can have stuff in the way... You can't change the brake pads unless you take the tires off but you don't have the take the fenders off the car and drain the transmission fluid to change them.

Pulling the dash off and removing a vent and some wires is no big deal compared to pulling an entire plenum out of the car and recovering the a/c refrigerant.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

No, I'm looking at the real-world cost/benefit trade of how you package a part that fails very rarely.

Except on hondas and toyotas. To change front brake pads: Step one, remove left rear taillamp housing. Step two, reach in through hole and work your way to the front of the car..... :-p

Actually, the big complaint with changing the cores (heater or AC evaporator) on the LH cars IS removing the dash- the exact thing you say should be so easy. All that trim and plastic-work takes forever to get apart without damaging it. Discharging and recharging the AC is trivial by comparison, and takes half the time.

Reply to
Steve