2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Brake Rotors

You persist in being very unclear and incoherent.

"will" or "did" is irrelevant when you failed to make clear what "that" refers to.

Does "Cheap brake pads with high iron content" cause rotors to become stuck so that great force is needed to break the bond?

After all this babbling you have yet to say anything to address that question.

You haven't explained why that fact would matter.

You answered the question with a nope. That should mean you don't suppose that the iron in the rotor and hub have anything to with the rotors becoming stuck.

But you haven't shown any sign that you have any basis in fact as to the cause of the OP's rotor being stuck.

That is more unclear and incoherent blather.

You were asked a simple question:

"don't you suppose the iron in the rotor and hub plays some part in why the two rust together?"

And your response was "Nope."

How is blathering about years of college and the meaning of the word "suppose" help to clarify that statement?

So are you now saying "the problem" in your answer was not the problem stated in the question?

My understanding was "The problem" that you said is more or less non-existent if ceramic pads are used is the problem of rotors being bonded tightly to the hub. Bonded so tight that it requires great force to break the bond.

That was not the problem you were talking about?

Was I supposed to know your response, which you typed directly below my question, was not a reply to my question?

Ok. now that you have clarified that you were at no time ever talking about the original posters "problem" of stuck rotors what you wrote does read a little differently. And I'm sure that must be my fault.

-jim

Reply to
jim

The original poster asked a question;

"Is there something I missed, or are they just severely rusted in place?"

Since Jeep doesn't use any fasteners to secure their rotors to the wheel hub, I'm reasonably certain that he didn't miss anything that wouldn't have been painfully obvious so I replied "severely rusted in place." Now, the OP is there to see and I am not, but he used the words "severely rusted in place" so I'll take that statement to mean that he has actually observed the condition and considers it to be "severe." Can't un-severe something like that once the condition already exists, no magic wand can be waved to make the severe rust go away. I can however make a suggestion that very well could and does in my experience keep the condition from repeating itself.

Your inability to comprehend certainly isn't my fault.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

It still aint true.

Using ceramic pads won't keep the rotors from getting severely rusted in place.

The rust that causes the rotor to become severely rusted in place so that it is hard to break free doesn't arrive there from someplace else. It always forms in place from the surfaces of the rotor and the hub rusting.

-jim

Reply to
jim

OP here again.

Yes, the rust was what I considered to be severe. But the magic wand does exist. In its first form it was a six pound 'dum-dum' hammer. In its second form it was the pneumatic version of a Dremel tool with a rotary sanding drum on it. Between the two magic wands, the rust went away.

Reply to
TomO

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 07:46:54 -0500, aarcuda69062 wrote:

We did the rotors/pads yesterday. No significant rust (Chicago suburb, streets salted, car parked on street.) Last few winters haven't been bad though. Kid broke a T-60 bit tightening the first bracket back on with the breaker bar. He didn't use a torque wrench except for the wheels, which are allloys. It was a Lyle impact bit from his work. Too hard probably. Ran to the store for a new T-60. Second bracket, one bolt took some hammer whacking and a pipe on the breaker bar to get it loose. I didn't see any bad rust anywhere. He was moving fast so I didn't look close at anything. He didn't wire-brush anything, and could hand turn all bolts once cracked. He used some lock-tite on the bracket bolt threads, squeezed some Sila-glide into the caliper boots, and sprayed some anti-screech on the back of the pads. Took him about 1/2 hour per side. I held the light. Except for the broken bit, it went as smooth as any rotor/pad job I've done. The kid really likes the floating calipers. Pass side pads were worn worse than driver's side, and almost gone. Weird thing was on both wheels the rotors were cut into about 1/4" by about the middle 1/3 of the pads - can't remember if they were inner or outer pads, but the cut was only on one side of each rotor. So the cuts in the rotors looked something like this in cross-section, and the pad cuts conformed to it. ____I I____ Looks like the "semi-metallic" pads were harder than the rotor in that area. Bad pad or rotor heat treating consistency I'd guess. Never saw that before. The pads looked like pure steel to me. Seeing this I wouldn't recommend "semi-metallic" if you have expensive rotors, but maybe these pads were a crap brand. The new rotors were 30 bucks each, and we put on the O'Reilly brand ceramic pads, also 30 bucks. BTW, the brakes were performing okay except there was some shudder like with warped rotors, and you could see the pads were worn down.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith