Focus ABS Problem

My bro's car, T reg Ghia, has this mysterious ABS fault the local garage can't fix, and the Ford dealers want to stick on this test rig or sth at great expense.....

He says "  Problem is that abs light remains unlit but I can feel abs rumbling under the brake pedal when braking. This happens intermitedley in journeys and it sometimes is then followed by the abs warning lights coming on. Once i stop the the car and start the engine again the abs light will not be on. It has just got it 12 months MOT ticket."

Light comes on correctly with key for system check.

Is this a known fault? Fixable?

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve

That sounds like a wheel sensor starting to fail. If you unplug each in turn and put a AC Volts digital test meter on, spin the wheel (by hand) and get a reading. You should be able to get about 1v, anything much less than 0.7v would indicate a weak sensor.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Indeed. My 820 is doing the same thing and I managed to get the fault code indicating front RH wheel sensor (it's usually the front wheels). During normal use it doesn't cause any problems, but when it gets damp or hot under that wheel arch it triggers the fault...

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

In message , Steve writes

I wouldn't say its a known fault. Has the car had any work done near the wheel hubs recently, i.e wheel bearing change or new brake shoes? The ABS wheel sensors can get damaged quite easily.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Yes and yes. Happened to me. Twas a sensor problem associated with a wheel bearing worn to destruction.

Reply to
Paul Rooney

(PS - Focus Diesel estate, V reg, 108000 miles, iirc. That was the first problem I'd had with it).

Reply to
Paul Rooney