94 Dodge Colt problem

My Colt standard runs fine, but if I let it sit for over a day and start it up, it will run for about 5 minutes before it starts to struggle. After the first 5 minutes, it will sometimes konk out when I stop or it will sound like it is only on 1 cylinder and struggles to move. When this happens, I rev it up in Neutral and then slam it into gear and it will start to go, but on reduced power. It seems like there may be air bubbles in the gas line or something because it eventually goes back to normal, but this can take a number of tries. I have had it in to a few shops and they see nothing wrong and it never happens for theM(bad timing), but I have had the distributor and plugs replaced. Any other ideas or suggestions to help me keep this thing running?

Reply to
miketaggart

Well, you've got engine problems right now and the more you neutral drop it, the more likely you'll start having transmission problems too.

It sounds like you might have water in your gas tank or your timing is off. Could even be a bad temp sensor or maybe you've got a spark plug wire in on the wrong spark plug. I'd check the compression to rule that out too.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

If I suspect it is water in my gas tank....the problem started after being left undriven for a week in the rain...what do I do to get it out?..do I have to drain the tank?

Reply to
Mike T

You'd go get some gas additive and add it to your gas tank and it will help "absorb" the water and allow your fuel system to burn it with the rest of the gas.

Reply to
Bruce Chang