Autozone-branded full synthetic

Is thre any information about the Autozone-branded full synthetic oil? It is being sold in the usual passenger car weights, and is labeled as meeting the same API certifications as the Mobil 1, Castrol, and other synthetics. There is some suggestion on Usenet that it may not be made from PAO stock, but rather from refined and processed petroleum base stock. No one has stated however that this makes a difference in the operating conditions encountered in passenger car use, and reportedly a court decided that oils from both stocks may be labeled synthetic. It's also been suggested that all synthetics as a group, are far better than the nearest semi- or non-synthetic oils. As is usual for store-brand things, there isn't much information beyond the label. Given the 30% or more price advantage over the other brands, is there any reason to not use this oil? FWIW, my auto has been running no differently on it than on the recommended Motorcraft semi-synthetic.

PS: For non-US readers, Autozone is a auto parts store chain.

Reply to
Nexus7

Yes, it is almost certainly from one of these big manufacturers, which is OEMing it for Autozone.

Yes. The Castrol Syntec is this way.

It is almost certainly equivalent to one of those major-label brands, but only the Autozone buyer knows which one it is. And that may also change the next time they place an order, too.

I'll point out you can usually get the major brands for a similar price if you buy enough at a time. Sometimes that can be an awful lot, though.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

IMHO, if the motor oil carries the required API certifications, then you are likely in good shape.

Having said that, I use nonsynthetics in my cars but there are some brands of nonsynthetic oil that I won't use anymore even though they carry API certifications.

I have observed, or believe I have observed, increased tendency to lacquer or dirty the engine by some brands. I believe this to be a consequence of the additives package used, not the refined base oil.

Reply to
<HLS

Does the saying 'there is a sucker born ever day' mean anything to you?

I refuse to pay the extreme high price for an 'imitation' 'synthetic' oil.

Sure the real stuff is likely half worth the extra money, but to go to court and play with words just so you can slap a label on a bottle and charge 4 times it's worth is total bullshit in my opinion.

That is like when they first came out with the 'imitation' crab meat and tried to pawn it off as 'crab' meat for the same price. I believe enough consumers balked at the BS so they had to lower the cost down to the price of fish, not the price of crab.

Mike

Mike Romain

Have a look at or subscribe to Lubes ' Greases magazine,

where you'll see a completely unbiased, unslanted, nothing to gain or nothing to lose perspective on this and related topics.

Reply to
rudyxhiebert

If you are concerned about the truthfulness of the API claims made on the oil can why don't you contact Autozone and ask for the technical data supporting those claims.

Reply to
John S.

But even the cheapest conventional oils carry those same API certifications. :)

1-800-AUTOZONE has a technical department, but it's open only 9-5 local time. I had no luck when I phoned two stores and their distribution center.

Every store brand conventional oil I've seen was made by Valvoline/Quaker State, except for Wal-mart's, which came from Specialty Oil or Specialty Lubricants.

Do you mean it's only $0.27 a quart? Because I paid a whopping $0.38/qt for a 6-pack of Pennzoil synthetic. If there's a Pep Boys in your area, their Sunday ads have been listing a lot of good rebate offers recently.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

The word combination "Imitation synthetic" has a paradoxical ring to it. On the other hand, so does "real synthetic" ;-)

Reply to
jcr

I believe you can find the manufacturer of this oil by looking up the MSDS label on the stuff and it should tell you who manufactured/bottled the oil for Autozone. I'd bet money that it is manufactured by Quaker State, but I'm not going to take the time to look it up. However, that does not mean that it has the same identical composition as Quaker State synthetic oil. It could be slightly different.

If putting a synthetic or at least a synthetic labeled oil in your car makes you feel good, so be it.

Reply to
Kruse

And what would those oils be that you frown upon?

Reply to
cujotom

Partially-hydrogenated vegetable oil, for one. Not only does it cause heart problems and arteriosclerosis but it could really mess up your engine too.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Damn! I didnt know this was the cooking forum? I thought it was about motor oil...

Reply to
cujotom

In Scotland, there was some chip shop recently that was found to be using used motor oil for frying fish. It all goes around, you know.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

In Scotland; what size autos are the most popular (cc/litre), and the biggest selling brand of motor oil?

I would assume Rolls-Royce, and Shell Rotella.

m h o =A0v =83e

Reply to
fiveiron