Can't turn ignition key

Hi,

I have a 96 Geo Prizm, but I think this occurs in most types of cars. I can insert my key but cannot turn the key. I had it parked yesterday, so the steering wheel was not straight. I can move the steering wheel a bit, about 10 degrees each direction, but it does feel tight. Also, I stepped on the brakes, but now I can't do that either because it locked up. I'm wondering if this is related to a power steering wheel lock or ignition key problem. And what can I do to be able to turn the key and start my car?

Also, I tried reinserting the chip to start the engine so it is not due to that.

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
ge-o

Are you inserting the key and the key itself just wont turn or is the key turning and the car just wont start? If the key itself wont turn try giving the steering wheel a good yank in the direction the tires are pointing WHILE turning the key. This happens alot in my BMW oddly enough but I just give it a good yank and the key turns. If not, I'm sorry.

Reply to
Mikelbri

You sure it's all the way in Park?

Reply to
Larry Bud

Yes, it's all the way in Park. And I can insert the key all the way but not turn it. Thanks for your suggestions. Is there anything else I need to look at?

Reply to
ge-o

Does it have a release button on the steering column? Might need to turn the wheel just a bit, opposite to which way it is headed now, to successfully push it. Just the first, no-cost, no-mechanical surgery thing to try...

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera