Car That Can Park Itself Put on Sale by Toyota

====================

of religious groups in the U.S.Polling data from early 2001 indicate that: 76.5% (159 million) of Americans identify themselves as Christian. This is a major slide from 86.2% in 1990. Identification with Christianity has suffered a loss of 9.7 percentage points in 11 years -- about 0.9 percentage points per year. 52% of Americans identified themselves as Protestant. 24.5% are Roman Catholic. 14.1% do not follow any organized religion. This is an unusually rapid increase from only 8% in 1990). 1.3% are Jewish. 0.5% are Muslim, followers of Islam. The fastest growing religion (in terms of percentage) is Wicca. It went from 8,000 in 1990 to 134,000 in 2001. Their numbers of adherents are doubling about every 30 months. 3

In Canada, the 1991 census found that:

85% of the population define themselves as Christian: 54% are Roman Catholics, 43% Protestants, 2% Eastern Orthodox, 2% other. The United Church of Canada and Anglican Church of Canada are the largest Protestant denominations. Both are relatively liberal.

Although the percentage of adults who consider themselves Christian are almost the same in the two countries, Canada and the US differ in two significant ways:

A much larger percentage of Canadians are Roman Catholic. A much larger percentage of Americans Protestants are conservative Christians.

In general, the more conservative churches are rapidly growing in membership; the main line and liberal churches are in a gradual decline. The Unitarian-Universalist Association is an exception. It is a very liberal religious organization which is often considered to be part of Christendom by statisticians and pollsters, but not regarded as Christian by most of its members). It is growing. ===================

Reply to
Philip®

I have reason to believe (a little field test I did today measuring relative humidity on RECIRC) that RECIRC still allows some fresh air in due to leakage around the air control door.

Reply to
Philip®

It is just cheaper to buy their "sweet crude" than it is to process our domestic coal tar (which we -do- export a considerable amount of).

Reply to
Philip®

If you cook with electricity and the power goes out maybe knowing that it went out because a driver hit a pole versus an unknown problem is more comforting, but it's still OUT. A shortage is a shortage.

Reply to
mark digital©

Of course Phillip, who draws a pension from a company that depends on petroleum, is never likely to admit he would like anything to the contrary.

Reply to
mark digital©

If you had wireless Internet access during your truck driving years can you imagine how much more "dangerous" you'd be today?

Reply to
mark digital©

There is plenty of sweet crude available in this country. Not enough to replace the Saudi Oil at the current usage rates, but if we doubled the cost of imported oil, it wouldn't take long for domestic supplies to replace it (asssuming oil shale and coal would be used to make gasoline as well). I don't recommend a sudden increase in taxes on imported oil, just a long slow ramp up over say the next 10 years.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Including the immeadiate memebers of my family - over a dozen - '86 VW Jetta, '78 Ford Fiesta, '92 Ford F150, '97 Ford Expedition, '86 Mercury Sable, '91 VW Passat, '71 Dodge D600, '83 Mazda 626, '86 Ford Ranger, '92 Ford Ranger, '82 Ford Country Squire, '72 Ford Pinto...there are others but my memory is not so good. It would be faster to name the failures - '73 Ford Pinto (fluid never changes, bands never adjusted, lost reverse at around 90,000 miles), '74 Jensen-Healy (mainshaft nut unscrewed at around 40,000 miles), '86 VW Jetta (fluid never checked, leaked out, ate fifth gear at around 135,000), '67 Ford Fairlane (ran the car into a pond, lost high gear the next day).

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

Nah. I don't want to contribute more tax money to wasteful government spending.

Reply to
Philip®

AS the price of diesel rises, so does everything you buy because ... everything you buy got to you by truck. The primary reason diesel trucks get the emissions slack they have is that commercial trucks contribute mightily to every modern economy. Such cannot be said of automobiles. Cars cannot pull up to a dock with a million dollars worth of computer stuff

Reply to
Philip®

I retired in 1998. I started carrying a laptop around in the truck in '97. Truckstops were just starting to offer phone plug-ins at restaurant tables about then too. You would be amazed how many truckers carry laptops and PDA's now. Truckers are electronic gadget collectors ... trust me! LOL "Dangerous?" Me? Harmless little fuzzball.

Reply to
Philip®

I guess you are right, it is better to give it to the Saudis so they can fund terrorist.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Trains could, and they don't destroy the road that car owners fund with the gasoline tax they pay.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Even the current Administration has decided that no user of Diesel fuel will continue to get emissions slack. High time, too.

Reply to
Richard Schumacher

Nevertheless if you are a US citizen you will help pay for my 2004 Prius :_>

Reply to
Richard Schumacher

Well if I'm helping pay for it...I'd like a ride sometime

Scott in Florida

Reply to
Scott in Fla

Obviously, you are quite illiterate, so I'll try to make it plain for you:

There was the assertion that all shortages in fuel will be manmade.

There was a response that the Arizona shortage was not manmade.

I showed that it was manmade.

You came in with a non-sequitur that it was a shortage.

Just so you know, no one here ever stated or implied that there wasn't a shortage. The only discussion (until you came blindly into the thread) was about whether they would be because actual supply could not meet demand, or because of some human interference, such as purposefully producing less than possible to increase prices or absurd regulations that prevent sale of available gasoline.

Marc For email, remove the first "y" of "whineryy"

Reply to
Marc

Gives us a great opportunity to promote a democracy next door to several dictatorships to say nothing of justifying a miltitary presence. I'm for both. (evil laugh).

Reply to
Philip®

Good Grief. HOW do you get goods FROM the train TO the retail store? How do you get finished product TO the train in most cases? Do you have ANY idea how long a frieght train takes to cross the US compaired to a trucker? How do you get motor fuels from the refinery or blending station to the corner gas station? (and a thousand other examples). DUH Furthermore, truckers pay a damn sight more Federal road use taxes (subsidizing car drivers in part) while four wheelers pay only state registration and teeny road use tax.

Reply to
Philip®

Diesel emissions have been under treatment for years so, what you say is silly. The slack has been at the refinery level to make MUCH more low low sulfur fuel. Refiners have to get the sulfur out which they have been doing regionally.

Reply to
Philip®