car with splayed wheels.

Any girl that would be attracted to a stanced car, or any fancy car for that matter, is not the kind of girl I would want in my life.

Reply to
Xeno

Depends on what sort of girls you prefer:

AMuzi

That's nice. My friend Larry had a Corvair. Only the early ones were dangerous.

And it has vent windows. My uncle called them No-Draft, but I used to open them so far they pointed forward (not all will do that) and blew the breeze right on me. I miss that.

Reply to
micky

My mother had a Corvair. Two of them, in fact. I can't remember if the white one replaced the blue one or vice versa.

My first car had vent windows. I don't miss them. Air-conditioning is better.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Just spelling it with a U marks you as a poser!

Reply to
The Real Bev

Looking for jailbait? <sigh>

I can't drive well enough to take advantage of 150mph etc. capabilities, but I'm happy to associate with those who can if they'll let me ride with them!

Purely cosmetic shit doesn't count unless it's a really fabulous paint job. They have truly spectacular colors now.

Reply to
The Real Bev

That's what my family called them too. We also had one of those window coolers with a string that you pulled when you wanted a spray of water in your face.

Reply to
The Real Bev

" Warning: Objects in mirror appear smarter than they are.

Reading a Bev sig line makes for a pleasant afternoon. Thank you as always!

Reply to
AMuzi

Believe me, it's the girls that are dangerous.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

A white one, '61 I think, appeared in a neighbor's driveway. I was able to confirm a vague memory of the shift being a little vertical lever on the dash. My brother had a rental and that was what I mostly remember about the car. He liked to rent Hertz's stranger selections.

I went to a car auction in the '80s. The sales for fat fender coupes and so forth moved along rapidly until they rolled out a beautifully restored Corvair. The bidding got up to $2000 and lagged. Finally the auctioneer told the owner that he could withdraw the car since it hadn't reached the reserve but that was was all the car was worth. Classic/antique car values are fickle.

Reply to
rbowman

We has a '65 Dodge with vent windows. Later designs had a locking button on the lever but you could easily open the vent with a pocket knife and reach the door handle. After a radio was stolen from the car I demonstrated to the insurance man but he was not impressed. "You must have left it unlocked." I haven't had to deal with insurance in years but at that time there always was a reason why whatever it was wasn't covered.

Reply to
rbowman

Not on this side of the world it doesn't. That's the version in common use here, don't blame us for your need to simplify words.

Reply to
Xeno

:-) That would be the bottom side, then? Aussies use FRENCH spelling?

Reply to
The Real Bev

It went from the French, adopted by the English, then *transported* to Aus.

Reply to
Xeno

PLEASE don't tell me you pronounce it with the accent on the second syllable...

Reply to
The Real Bev

Ok, I won't tell you.

Reply to
Xeno

I would have thought a poser is someone who poses for pictures and a poseur, with the stress on the second syllable, is someone who pretends to be what he's not.

Reply to
micky

That's pretty much the way we see it on this side of the Pacific.

Reply to
Xeno

My first definition of poser would be a difficult question like 'why is there something rather than nothing?'

Reply to
rbowman

Never heard for that. Sounds great.

Reply to