check engine light, 2002 Century

How do I turn it off? I'm thinking I can turn off the light and see if it comes back on again... in other words, determine if it was a transient problem without having to pay some shop to read the code.

Searching for the answer on the web is futile. E.g., I read and tried the procedure of turning ignition to 'on', then depressing accelerator 5 times. Does nothing.

Thanks.

Reply to
RJ_32

If it was a transient problem the light would have gone back off. The system runs continuous diagnostics. If it fails any of the tests during the diagnostic procedure the light comes on.

If the light is on you have a problem.

Scan it and get the code(s), repair the problem and the light will go out.

That would reset the oil change monitor if you have one. Does NOTHING with the OBDII system. No way to erase the codes on an OBDII system without a code scanner.

Reply to
Steve W.

It has always been the gas cap on my Buick. Make sure it has a good seal, or even get a new one. If that's the problem the light will go off by itself in a few days.

I found this on my first Google search, dunno if it works or not but give it a try:

"Disconnect your battery for one minute and then reconnect it again that should reset it, if the problem that you have in your car is still there then that light will come on again after while then you gona need to run diagnostics on your car to find the problem if it will not come on again then that should take care of it."

Reply to
AJL

The battery trick works on OBDI vehicles NOT OBDII. Basically if it was built after 96 you need a scan tool of some type, unless the manufacturer built in a code readout display.

Reply to
Steve W.

Light switch could be defective and not allow turn off. Try removing it or cutting the wires to it.

Reply to
Li Wan