Geo Metro wheel hub removal

I am replacing the brake rotors in the 1990 Geo Metro. The rotors are behind the wheel hub, which can only be removed by taking the axle nut off, and using a slide hammer to pull the hub off the axle. I am not all that familiar with the use of a slide hammer. I bought a slide hammer from harborfreight, but the jaws don't seem to be large enough to fit around the wheel hub. I looked around, and most slide hammers are of the same diamater. Is there a special trick to pull the hub off, or am I missing something obvious?

Andrew Sarangan

Andrew

There is a attachment that screws on the end of the slidehammer that has three fingers w/sloted holes that span across the hub and you can screw the lug nuts to. You may have to look around for one that has a rise tall enough to clear the hub. (this setup was used for pulling the axles out of the rearend of rear drive cars.) I couldn't find one, so what I did was go to a hardware store and got some chain that would fit over the lug studs and put a nut and washer on the end of the slidehammer through the links. Shade Tree engineering but it works

Rick

Reply to
rickbenites

Be very careful with those Harbor Freight slide hammers. They use cheap steel and you can fracture them. A much better tool is a slide hammer from NAPA. IT looks almost identical to the Harbor Freight one but you will not break it.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt