Gulf oil spill dispersant

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:htrkvl$957$ snipped-for-privacy@panix2.panix.com:

No, you're confusing the difference.

From wiki:

Surfactants reduce the surface tension of water by adsorbing at the liquid-gas interface. They also reduce the interfacial tension between oil and water by adsorbing at the liquid-liquid interface. Many surfactants can also assemble in the bulk solution into aggregates.

Note they say *many* and not all. Soaps are a subclass and the soap property is what I was talking about, not the effect of decreasing surface tension, which in itself wouldn't help a bit. I was talking about using the soap to collect the oil. As I stated in my original post. A plain surfactant would just mix the two.

Further to this later on the that same article they call soaps Anioic surfactants. This ionic behavior is what actually attracts the grease and oil molecules

Reply to
chuckcar

My little couch buddy doggy washes my dishes.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3171.bay.webtv.net:

I had a dog that could untangle his own leash in the backyard. Given proper Directions of course. I just had to stand at the back door and give them. Beat that!

It was none of the above mentioned breeds, Half border collie and half husky.

Reply to
chuckcar

I reckon my dog is a Republican.She does ok chasing my flashlight spot light around and around in a circle.But if I wave that light around and around counter clockwise, she falters and stumbles. I need to make an appointment with the vet to get her toenails trimmed, she wont let me trim them. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3173.bay.webtv.net:

My dog didn't fall for that trick. He'd just look at you as if you were the one with the mental problem. It took a couple of years before he even fetched properly. And he still wasn't enthusiastic about it. But show him a frog on dry land and he'd be entertained for hours. He'd nudge it with his nose, jump back stunned when it jumped, repeat until it got to the water. At which point he would ever so gently pick in up in his mouth walk back 100' or so drop the frog and repeat it all over again.

Reply to
chuckcar

Wrong.. Absolutely wrong. Totally wrong. Lye (caustic soda or sodium hydroxide) is not soap. A "soap" is defined as the sodium salt of a fatty acid, simply. Bar soap was for years a sodium soap of mixed fatty acids from animal or plant sources. Surfactants are not necessarily soaps. Your chemistry sucks.

Bacteria and surfactants have been used all over the southern USA to remediate oil contaminated soil. Oil dispersants have been used all over the Gulf of Mexico for many many years to eliminate oil sheens. If your only life is the internet, you have no expertise in this area.

I believe they are ordinarily used, as I mentioned above, in a negative way, to "hide" the obvious effects of a sheen or spill.

Reply to
hls

Look, Chuckles...I dont know what javex is. But lye is not soap. It has some ability to clean, but that doesnt make it a soap.

Where the heck did bleach get into this conversation???

Reply to
hls

Soaps are not used to aggregate oil, for the most part. And they dont absorb at the liquid interfaces.. they adsorb, and they do drop the surface tension. The surface tension between oil and water, regardless of the additive, almost always decreases when you add a surface active chemical. There are a few (very few) cases where an additive will cause the surface tension to increase, but the increase is always very small.

You do not use soaps to collect oil, when taken alone. You can pass oil and water dispersions through a gas dispersion unit, and bring the oil out riding on air bubbles, sometimes. And sometimes the right surfactant helps this process.

You can separate emulsions by the use of surface active materials of special design. These are not normally soaps either. They act to break the interfacial film which stabilizes emulsions, and allow the oil to aggregate. This is called demulsification or emulsion breaking, is dependent upon special surfactants (NOT soaps), and is a different process from oil dispersion.

Your chemistry still sucks.

Reply to
hls

"hls" wrote in news:sMWdnQh2g9_3MJzRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Believe what you want. I'm tired of stating solid facts that you disagree with.

So no concrete example then. I figured as much.

Reply to
chuckcar

On the web, What are the ingredients of Corexit 9500?

The BP top kill didn't work.They say their next option is to try a Lower Marine Riser Package.A custom made valve they will fit onto the pipe where the oil is gushing out.But first they will cut off a pipe so they can fit/install the custom made valve on there.There will still be some leaks though. CNN tv news is talking about it. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3173.bay.webtv.net:

Nothing you want in your backyard I assure you.

So back to the original idea of covering it and having a valve on that. Brilliant.

Reply to
chuckcar

ALERT: NASA satellite shows oil 20 miles from Florida Keys.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3173.bay.webtv.net:

Yeah, the whole Gulf has had it. Pretty sad state of affairs.

Reply to
chuckcar

I saw/heard something on tv news there are people calling for a national Boycott of BP.There are a bunch of BP gas stations around here.I always go to Shell gas stations or some other gas stations.I haven't been to a BP gas station in fifteen years or more. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

On the web, A volcano of oil erupting pesn

They have ruined the Gulf of Mexico. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3173.bay.webtv.net:

Pesn?

Is that a word Joe Peshi invented?

Reply to
chuckcar

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3173.bay.webtv.net:

Quite likely to be impossible from what I've heard: The stations are

*not* owned by the company - they're franchises - just like any other chain. As for their products aside from that, there's plenty they don't label as such. In addition, they supply gas and other products to other gas station chains. However, up here, it hasn't existed since the 1980's. It and Fina were bought out by Pierre Trudeau to create PetroCanada. It's gets complicated from there. Since then sucessive Conservative governments have sold off stock of PetroCanada so that the Federal Government is now no longer the major shareholder, where originally they were the only one.
Reply to
chuckcar

So, when we buy gasoline/diesel fuel/motor oil/etc,,, we don't know from where (oil companies) it really comes from? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3172.bay.webtv.net:

If it's not one of the major oil companies. Yes. For example, we have stations up here called Drummond's. There is no such oil company, They just run gas stations and buy their gas from one of them. It naturally varies with each of such and when such contracts change of course. The only way to tell would be to ask at the station or wait for the fuel truck to arrive.

Reply to
chuckcar

It depends. BP, Exxon, and Shell have their own refineries and supply their own fuel. All others buy from distributors.

Reply to
Paul