Lug Nuts

What decision was reached on the, to, not to use anti-seize on them?

I think I will try it, if I have the chance.

mho >v=83e >D r i v e / E a t =A0L e s s - $ a v e =A0M o n e y
Reply to
fiveiron

It is not recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. (but what do -they- know?) If you have problems with lug nut/studs rusting, you are not having your brakes inspected or your tires rotated as often as you should.

You have my permission.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Are you really that slow?

Phone up the maker of your vehicle and ask!

Mike

Mike Romain

The general concensus is that you have a few worn cogs in your neural transmission.

A successful man makes his own chances. Why don't you go out into the backyard now, loosen up those nuts, jack up the flivver and apply some, get it off your chest but make sure you don't get it on your dick.

Reply to
ShazWozza

I think I will try it, if I have the chance.

We have been down this thread a number of times. There is no difference between a lubricant and an anti-sieze as far as the effect they both have on the torque of a bolt. Both reduce friction. And you CAN apply too much torque if you use either of them and torque to the original specifications.

A number of us found data on the net indicating that in the range of 15-20% less torque was required on lubricated bolts to obtain the same bolt extension or clamping force.

So that would indicate that if you are supposed to torque your lug nuts to

100 foor pounds dry, you would be pretty safe to use 80-85 foot pounds on bolts with anti-seize or grease.

I have done this for years, personally, and have never broken a lug bolt NOR have I ever had one loosen. I have had some cars in some driving environments (salt, winter slush) where I feel it is far preferable to use some anti-seize than to let them rust up.

So the choice is yours.

Reply to
<HLS

thanks, glad you have had good luck with your practice. too much or too little of a

good thing could be detrimental, the idea should be to use common sense.

rust grows, counter measures against such might be in order.

Reply to
fiveiron