removal of junk cars - diminishing return

actually it is my business, because I'm not talking about a neighbor here, but a member of my own family!

Reply to
vmpolesov

LOL!

Don't let them read the internet then.....

Too many of us here fix old beasts....

Mike

Mike Romain

Irrelevant.

Are they *YOUR* cars?

Are they on *YOUR* property?

If, as I suspect from the phrasing of your initial post, the answer to either question is "no", and their presence there doesn't constitute a violation of an applicable law, then it's _NOT_ _YOUR_ _BUSINESS_. Full stop.

Reply to
Don Bruder

You don't like MY JUNK CARS being in MY YARD? Tough shit. What I do on my property is my business. Mind your own fuggin' business, asshole. Build a fence so you don't have to look at them, or move yourself away. ___________________________________________________

One militant bully like this changes a nice neighborhood into a slum.

There is no easy solution to the problem. If the city enforces its nuisance ordinances against the offender, he is likely to engage in violent acts of reprisal and vandalism for years to come.

The only thing that will impress the thug is termination. Otherwise you may have to move for your own peace of mind.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

You act like you have a personal interest in this. Did daddy tell you to get your junk off his yard or what?

Reply to
Bob

no

no

it is my business because i am related to them, because I don't want my family members to live in squalor and create a nuisance for their neighbors, to be the butt of redneck jokes, etc.

anyway we're getting way off the original topic here. my gut feeling is still that if a car sits on the rims or on blocks for more than 6 months, the odds are vanishingly small that it will ever move under its own power again. of course there are exceptions such as rare or valuable cars, people who do eventually get around to it, etc.

Reply to
vmpolesov

Might I suggest that your family probably finds a lot of stuff you do annoying?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

sounds fine to me.

i'm sure i'll get flamed back to the stone age, but i would have no qualms about this system, and even requiring an annual fee for this permit on inoperative vehicles to give people some incentive to get their junk cars out of the front yard get them towed away as scrap metal.

the thing is in most places a car up on blocks costs nothing to register or insure, so there is zero incentive for someone to do anything more than talk about 'restoring it someday'.

Reply to
vmpolesov

I hope you are never my neighbor.

Don't worry, if you f*ck with people in that way, they usually find out who you are and find a way to get back at you.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

That's supposedly not the po Identification of "abandoned" cars are now and always have been the responsibility of your local housing council. SORN does not affect what the council does.

Reply to
Tegger

And I hope you are never mine....

Reply to
Bob

Not true at all, really. Machines are amazingly resilient. In certain climates, sitting outdoors does almost no damage at all. In the worst climates, sitting outdoors for 6 months certainly wouldn't do any real harm. Think about it- when a car is in daily use being driven to work, odds are that it spends at least 12 hours a day (6 months a year) sitting OUTSIDE.

Reply to
Steve

How about an annual fee to keep your garden gnome? Or your bicycle? or your front porch swing? Cars are PRIVATE PROPERTY and shouldn't be subject to any seizure laws that don't apply to all other types of PROPERTY. Private ownership trumps other considerations, IMO.

There's a difference between a "yard car" ordinance that prevents storage out in plain sight versus coming in and taking away, for example, cars stored in a fenced BACK yard.

Reply to
Steve

More likely, he has an expensive court case in progress against the city for a zoning violation.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Despite teh vehicles in question not being mine, I *DO* have a personal interest in it - The interest of preserving the right s of myself and others to do what we see fit with our property, despite the efforts of creeping busybody-ism such as what's being displayed by the OP.

First it's OK for him to tell someone what they can do with their cars on their property. What's next? What clothes they may or may not wear? Something lesser? Something more important?

Reply to
Don Bruder

Your desires are irrelevant. They may be your relatives, and you may not like how they choose to live, but that's their choice to make, not yours.

How would you like someone else, relative or not, trying to pry into how

*YOU* choose to live, however well-meaning their intrusion might be?

Let's go for a "ferinstance" - I don't much care for the clothes you wear. (not that I actually know what you wear, but play along for a minute for the sake of discussion, huh?) So does that make it OK for me to raise hell about how you dress, perhaps start running off at the mouth to all and sundry about the dimishing returns of wearing those gawd-awful plaid pants and tie-dyed T-shirts that should have been buried back in the '70s? Perhaps I should see about having someone enforce (or, if one doesn't exist, start trying to get one enacted) the ordinance concerning crimes against fashion?

Or maybe I don't like what color your house is painted. Or pick something out of the air. The point is, just because I don't like it, or I think it's best for you, *DOES NOT* give me the right to tell you how to deal with your life. Same as your not liking something about someone else, or thinking you know what's best for them, doesn't give you any right to tell them how to live theirs.

Reply to
Don Bruder

Interesting speculation, even if it is completely without merit.

Reply to
Don Bruder

Or how about this: It's a weeknight around 1am and your next door neighbor and 20 of his most obnoxious buddies are partying their asses off in the back yard making a shitload of noise. They aren't coming onto your property but it's summer, your windows are open and you have to start work at 6am. I suppose you'd just shrug it off? It IS his property after all, he can do whatever he wants.... right?

Reply to
Bob

Which part of "not against the law" didn't you understand? A noise ordinance would likely be in play in the situation you describe. And if there is no noise ordinance (which would be the case for me, since I choose not to live in the over-packed rat-holes some refer to as cities) Oh well... Guess I've got two choices: Close the window and go back to sleep, or put on a pair of pants and go join 'em. (Chances are, I've got a standing invitation to any shindig the only neighbor close enough to be noticable is throwing, anyway - Unlike those of you who inhabit the rat-warrens, us "hicks" tend to know each other and get along fairly well without need of the nannies you city folk seem to require)

Reply to
Don Bruder

There is a suburb city of Oklahoma City and that suburb city does not even allow brand new pickup trucks to be parked in the open. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin